What's new

What software on Mac to test routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rhialto

I plan to buy a router and do some comparative tests to see if it's any better than my current one.

Actual router location is second floor so I will select 3 spots in the house to do some tests then switch with new router and redo the same tests.

I have access to a MacBook Pro (girlfriend) and my Moto G LTE (2.4GHz only). On my phone I already have Wifi Analyzer installed which should be good to read signal strength. Is there a one-click do it all solution? Like testing signal strength on both 2.4/5GHz and up/down LAN speed?

Well, you'll understand I'm not a Mac guy :rolleyes: I just found Mac have a builtin diagnostic tools so I will be good to compare signal strength. Also found iStumbler but seems to do the same. I'm now reading about NetSpot which looks like a complete suite which offer mapping. I think I should be set now.

Wireless Diagnostics has quite a few useful purposes...

Option-Click on the Airport Menu - once Wireless Diagnostics is open, check the Window Menu up in the Menu Bar...

WiFi Explorer is a great tool to have - similar to InSSIDer, but a slightly different feature set - NetSpot is also pretty decent.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!