What's new

What to buy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ac3200user

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I looking for some advice.
My whole house is set up with Asus routers in a Aimesh-setup.

But my main router (RT AC88U) is giving me more and more trouble. It keeps losing its wan-connection to my cable modem, some ethernet-ports randomly stop working, etc etc.

All problems are common, i read here I'm not the only one who encounters them.

I'm at the point of throwing it out of the window, but then I'd have to buy a whole new setup. And with 4 perfectly working RT AC68U-aimesh routers, I guess I'd better buy one new main router.

Preferably an Asus again, as I know the system very well now.

What type would you advice me? I'm looking for a real workhorse, because in a couple of weeks I'm on gigabit fiber. And i have approximately 40 devices connected.

Thanks for your help!

You may find that a cheap 5 or 8 Port switch may solve your RT-AC88U's wonkiness. For $25 or so, it may be worth a try. I'm assuming you know to not use ports 5-8 on your main router, right now.

If the router really is gone, the following links may be helpful. Along with that additional 8 port switch if you need it for your wired clients.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Depending on your region, the RT-AX86U is the best bang for the buck. The RT-AX68U is the affordable entry-level current router today.