What's new

What to do when Firmware Restoration Utility won't complete? [RT-N66U]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unicorphia

New Around Here
I was trying to update my RT-N66U from a rmerlin firmware to the latest tomato firmware, but the Firmware Restoration Utility wouldn't go beyond 80% or so. (while using Restore mode, and the IP set to 10.1.1.10/255.255.255.0).

After not making any additional progress (in atleast 10 tries), I tried going back to rmerlin, and have been able to upload 90-95% of the firmware each time, but never further. I've tried unplugging the router and starting cold the next day, but no improvement. I've also tried going back to Asus firmware, but no success.

Is there anything that can be attempted at this point, or should I read it it's last rights?

It's a known issue, use TFTP and wait at least 30m (i would say 1h) after file upload is done to make sure it's fully written to the CFI.

Insist, you will be able to upload it.

Are there any limits on the size of firmware loadable via the CFE? dd-wrt used to provide tiny firmwares for initial loads, latest Asus firmwares are much bigger than now than when the routers CFEs first compiled! In any case would be good to identify the smallest good one! There have been a couple of CFE upgrades for the N66, mainly to do with full support for 64k nvram I believe.

The N66 has a CFE web recovery console, which means you shouldn't even need the windows recovery tools.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!