What's new

What to do....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Montu

New Around Here
I currently have an Asus RT56u, it has served me well

the only thing I never liked is how weak the 5ghz range is on this router..but it hasn't really been an issue for me until now.

I have added 3 Wifi security cams..and while I know I could just wire them...lets just assume I never will wire these.

now with the 3 wifi cams the 2.4ghz band is bogged down..I have a 50Mbit connection and If i connect to the 2.4ghz the best i can get is ~20Mbit. So I've set the laptop's to use the 5ghz band and that works great. But the signal is not the strongest in some area's of the house. For instance I have a wireless bridge setup and the 5ghz is way to weak for that to use it..Also the weaker receivers on our mobile phones can't stay connected to the 5ghz band.

So I'm trying to weigh some options here is what I'm thinking ..let me know if I'm over looking an option.

Option 1 - Upgrade to an N66U keep the cams on 2.4ghz (all they support anyway) and hopefully have enough 5ghz range to have the laptops phones and bridge on 5ghz (bridge has tv,blu ray,direct tv and denon receiver connected to it)

Option 2 - Buy a Dedicated 2.4ghz Bridge just for the Cams..this would allow me to keep using 2.4ghz and not really use the 5ghz band. The problem I see with this is that it would make the air waves even more congested than they already are.

thoughts?

Also I've noticed after adding more cams I get a missing frame or two every now and then ..this sets off the motion triggers..I'm hoping whatever I do will help this as well.

Thanks

Install a second dedicated AP for the Security Cam's with their own SSID and channel outside of your primary data network.

problem solved.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!