What's new

What to use to improve wireless coverage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlahBlahBlah

New Around Here
Hi There,
I have a virginmedia suberhub ac downstairs but the signal upstairs at times (no particular time of the day/night) is weak and loading a webpage on my laptop and tablet can take what seems to be forever as im a complete novice im here asking for help on what i can use to combat this problem , what ever is suggested id like to stay as wireless as possible

Reposition router, if possible.
or
add an access point (AP), located near the area of weak coverage.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basi...w-to-add-an-access-point-to-a-wireless-router

Many WiFi routers have an AP mode, making it an AP not a router despite its name.

The challenge: How to connect the AP to a spare LAN port on the router:
  • Cat5 cable inside walls, under floor, in attic
  • IP over home power wiring (see the section here by that name)
  • MoCA - IP over existing TV coax cables in walls.

Don't use a wireless extender (WDS) which is like an AP that uses wireless to link to the router. It's a "repeater". It halves your speeds and doubles the channel usage.

Thanks for your answer Steve, i will have a read of the above link and then decide what route to take concerning the challenges.
Just to pick your brain again are usb wifi adapters anygood?
When you say not to use a wireless extender does that include wireless powerlines?

Thanks for your answer Steve, i will have a read of the above link and then decide what route to take concerning the challenges.
Just to pick your brain again are usb wifi adapters anygood?
When you say not to use a wireless extender does that include wireless powerlines?
USB WiFi adapters .. are GREAT for desktops that cannot connect by cat5. A USB adapter PLUS a USB extension cable allow you to get the antenna inside the adapter elevated for a better RF path.

For laptops that already have WiFi... only useful if the laptop's WiFi is too old, lacks 5GHz and you want that, etc.

Wireless powerlines... I think you mean WiFi devices that plug into a wall outlet and create new coverage in that area. They are "repeaters". They use WDS. They can work if you speed and capacity expectations are low. A WDS repeater halves the speed and uses twice the air time. The latter means less air time available for all WiFi devices. The WDS trades off ease of installation for low performance.

Last edited:
Looks like the usb adapter is out, my laptop is only a few months old, but you have been very helpful Steve, much appreciated thank you.

Can anyone recommend a decent Ap and should i use ac powerline or does it not matter? should the powerline have gigabit or again will it not matter?.

They are "repeaters". They use WDS.
Today's wireless extenders do not use WDS. They can work with any router.
Single band extenders will suffer the 50% retransmission throughput penalty. Dual-band extenders when used with dual-band routers will not get the 50% penalty if one band is used to connect to the router and the other connects to the devices.

Hi There,
I have a virginmedia suberhub ac downstairs but the signal upstairs at times (no particular time of the day/night) is weak and loading a webpage on my laptop and tablet can take what seems to be forever as im a complete novice im here asking for help on what i can use to combat this problem , what ever is suggested id like to stay as wireless as possible
This article explains the various methods of improving wireless coverage.
The Best Way To Get Whole House Wireless Coverage

This is a more recent and better performing powerline/wireless combination extender than the D-Link mentioned in the article.

Looks like the usb adapter is out, my laptop is only a few months old, but you have been very helpful Steve, much appreciated thank you.

Generall,y good location of router is higher up, central in your house. Then there even moving a foot N-S or
E-W, tweaking antenna sticks make difference too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!