What's new

What traffic stats are available on AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rs387

New Around Here
I'm contemplating purchasing an AC86U to run with the Merlin firmware. I've used N66U with Merlin for years and love it, but I want fq_codel and so it's time to upgrade.

Having spent ages browsing the forums and the Merlin home page, I still can't quite understand what traffic stats will be available with this firmware. All I can tell is that IPTraffic is no longer supported, but I've no idea what the implications of this are.

Is it completely impossible to get any sense of which of my client devices are using the traffic? Or is it just limited to, I dunno, say MAC-based grouping? Is it the same with stock firmware and Merlin? If I enable fq_codel, will the availability of per-client traffic stats be affected? Finally, if I want fq_codel + per-client stats and AC86U can't do it, which model should I choose?

Thanks!

P.S. I also saw it mentioned somewhere that full-cone NAT is available only on AC86U. I need specific ports mapped to specific internal IPs and I thought this was more or less a standard feature on any router, is it really only supported on AC86U?

I believe the new Traffic Analyser will give you the same sort of information that IPTraffic did.

Regarding port forwarding, all the Asus routers can do that. Full-cone NAT is something that is only relevant to a specific edge-case.