What's new

What’s the best AX router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

idesign

Occasional Visitor
If given the choice between the Asus RT-AX88U, Netgear RAX80, and AX120 what is the top pick for 2018/2019?

Tech standpoint probably the AX120/GT11000 but from a cost effective perspective an AC86U or R7800 would probably be best. Without AX clients I doubt you will see much of a difference with the new generation devices in terms of WiFi performance.

Last edited:
It’s way too early to tell. Qualcomm-based AX routers aren’t even out yet.
The only thing I’d say at this point is that Broadcom seems to be slightly ahead of Qualcomm. But things are still squishy.

Smart money will wait at least until end of Q1 19 before even thinking of buying a DRAFT Wi-Fi 6 router.

It’s way too early to tell. Qualcomm-based AX routers aren’t even out yet.
The only thing I’d say at this point is that Broadcom seems to be slightly ahead of Qualcomm. But things are still squishy.

Smart money will wait at least until end of Q1 19 before even thinking of buying a DRAFT Wi-Fi 6 router.

Exactly - We've got Broadcom, QC-Atheros, Marvell announcing silicon... not much yet from Realtek and MediaTek/ex-Ralink

Not much on the client side yet, but I expect the normal players, plus Intel, just because...

I would also add some of the Chinese vendors, who do see this as one of their national initiatives - e.g. Huawei has been especially active in the standards process...

11ax is part of a bigger picture which is ITU 5G...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!