What's new

Where can I ask dev questions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheRealLion

New Around Here
Hi

I own an RT-AC1200G+. I know this router is not supported and I was looking into porting some features(not the entire asuswrt-merlin FW) over myself. To help me get started, I was wondering if there are any blog posts/wiki pages/forums discussing development of the FW. And if this forum is the right place to ask dev related questions.

There's not really any actual documentation, it's something that has to be worked out on yourself (assuming you are already familiar with Git and how to merge code using diff and patch).

First thing to do would probably to familiarize yourself with Asus's GPL code and getting a working build environment.

I might not always have time to answer questions here, but there are a number of other devs on these forums that are at least familiar with the basics of the code, so they might be able to answer any question you might have.

Hey Merlin thanks for your reply.

I have my build env setup with Asus' source code and I'm not new to git.

Before I talk about the feature(s) I'm trying to port, let me give you some background:
I am trying to get access to all of my IPTV box's features(it's not really IPTV, just needs a connection for some extra functions).
To achieve this the box needs to get 2 different IP's(It has 2 MACs, one cable). One has to be a WAN IP that it gets from my ISP's DHCP, for what they call 'interactivity'. The other has to be on my local network, so that it can have access to my NAS via DLNA.
I can't figure out a way to achieve this using stock asuswrt. Connecting the box to the router's switch gives it 2 local IPs, and enabling IPTV on that port makes it inaccessible on the local network.

There's 2 ways I can think of right now to solve this, both not being possible in stock FW:
1. Create bridge/IP passthrough for one of the MACs
2. I have a managed switch available(does not support MAC based VLANs) and I could create 2 VLANs. with:
  • my modem and routers WAN port on VLAN1,
  • a router LAN port and my NAS on VLAN2
  • and then put my box on a port on both VLANs.
In that case I'll have to use dnsmasq on the AC1200GP to block incoming DHCP requests from one of the box's MACs.

If anyone can come up with a better solution, using either stock or Merlin's FW, please let me know!

I found a post on this forum explaining how to do this with a custom dnsmasq config and I'm wondering what would have to be done to make custom configs possible on my router.

Hi

I own an RT-AC1200G+. I know this router is not supported and I was looking into porting some features(not the entire asuswrt-merlin FW) over myself. To help me get started, I was wondering if there are any blog posts/wiki pages/forums discussing development of the FW. And if this forum is the right place to ask dev related questions.

Hi, TheRealLion,
I've successfully built the official ASUSWRT onto my RT-AC1200G+, and uploaded the source tree and building steps here:
https://github.com/clockzhong/ASUSWRT_RT-AC1200GPlus
Hope this work could help you, it's not very difficult to merge its source tree to ASUSWRT_Merlin.