Where did I set up remote syslog?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Nerre, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Nerre

Nerre Senior Member

One of my servers died last week, I've set up a spare but I don't want to give it the same IP address because the old one is going to get back in business with new motherboard. But (as far as I remember) I had set up remote logging to the now dead server, so I need to change the IP in the router. But I can't find the setting...

Am I blind, is it in some strange place or am I totally wrong in that I had set it up with a simple setting?? :)

2. Nerre

Nerre Senior Member

I managed to change in directly in nvram (grep:ed for the old IP and found the log_ipaddr variable). But I can't remember I messed directly with nvram shen I set it up the first time... So the question more or less remains: Is it possible to set it up in the web ui and in that case where?

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Administration -> System. The field is called "Remote log server".

4. Nerre

Nerre Senior Member

How could I miss it? I looked through that page at least 3 times! :)

Oh well, the nvram way worked too.

Now I noticed that radvd really spams the log... every 10 seconds it burps 10 lines... That doesn't really matter for me since the server has a lot of disk and rotated logs are compressed, but it was a bit of a surprise.

5. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

If you don't use IPv6 on your LAN then you can disable Router advertisements on the IPv6 page.

6. Nerre

Nerre Senior Member

Well, the point is that I set up IPv6 on my LAN to try it out, so turning of advertisments kind of defeats the purpose:)

I'll have a look if it is possible to set radvd to a lower log level.

BTW, the ip6tables rules from your homepage worked as a charm (just had to edit the interface since I use 6to4). Now the port scanner reported stealth on all ports on my MythTV backend.