What's new

Where to find AC86U Samba Share on Windows 10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aging Amateur

New Around Here
Our household has four Macs and one Windows computer. I set up a an attached USB drive as a Network Place (Samba) Share using Asus' router setup facility and the share shows up as expected as a shared connected server in our Macs' Finder windows. However, I cannot find it when I open our Lenovo laptop running Windows 10.

I did find Asus' FAQ about enabling SMBV1 on Windows 10. I followed the sequence and when I got to the correct window the box for SMB 1.0/CIFS Client was already checked. I restarted the laptop anyway but I still cannot find the Asus shared network drive. I can find the router itself, but when I click to open it I just get the web-based setup facility, not the shared network drive.

One possible problem could be that the USB drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but I previously had the same USB, in the same format, set up as a shared drive with an Apple Time Capsule router and it showed up properly in the Lenovo. Asus does list Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as a supported format for the AC86U.

I would welcome any suggestions on how to find the Asus shared shared drive on my Lenovo.

If you bring up the run box (windows key + R) or an explorer window (windows key + E) and type in:

\\router-hostname

or

\\router-IP

Do you see the configured share? Obviously replace either of the above with the router's actual hostname or IP address.

If it shows, just create a drive mapping to that share name.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

roguetr,

You are my hero! It worked perfectly. The network drive opens and I can read/write to all the files. I mapped it and also created a shortcut.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!