What's new

Where to find reason for reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phydeaux

New Around Here
I'm testing an RT-86U with Merlin 384.8_2, and noticed today that the uptime is only 1 day 6 hrs. I've had no power outages or spikes in a while, so I'm curious as to where I would look to see what the cause is. It's been at least a week since I have manually rebooted for any reason. If it makes a difference, I do have Skynet and Diversion installed, too.

Look in the syslog.

Maybe this is indicative? My syslog seems to be filled with these:

Jan 16 09:26:09 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x01; Reg_in: 0x08010000; Reg_out: 0x1801ffff​

The error is related to SNMP which I believe currently doesn't work on the AC86U.

Maybe this is indicative? My syslog seems to be filled with these:

Jan 16 09:26:09 kernel: ****** Error: MDIO Access Returned FAIL! CL22 Access: Op: Read; PortAddr: 0x00; DevAddr: 0x01; Reg_in: 0x08010000; Reg_out: 0x1801ffff​
It would be more useful to see the log entries leading up to the moment when it rebooted.

It would be more useful to see the log entries leading up to the moment when it rebooted.

I just figured out where the syslog itself lives, rather than relying on the GUI. Unfortunately, the logs only go back about 10-12 minutes. I'm a bit surprised that there is not 1 day worth of logs here, much less any events preceding the reboot.

I just figured out where the syslog itself lives, rather than relying on the GUI. Unfortunately, the logs only go back about 10-12 minutes. I'm a bit surprised that there is not 1 day worth of logs here, much less any events preceding the reboot.
The syslog file rolls over when it reaches a certain size. So there is a syslog.log and a syslog.log-1. Look at both.

The syslog file rolls over when it reaches a certain size. So there is a syslog.log and a syslog.log-1. Look at both.

Yep, noticed that one. I'm guessing that whatever is going on is filling up the logs too much to get historical data at this point.

Yep, noticed that one. I'm guessing that whatever is going on is filling up the logs too much to get historical data at this point.

There is also the bug where the syslog would be wiped during some reboots (or not log everything before shutdown) which is fixed in the latest firmware alpha.

There is also the bug where the syslog would be wiped during some reboots (or not log everything before shutdown) which is fixed in the latest firmware alpha.

Well, gosh darn it all to heck, then. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for the next time and see if I can catch it in the act or some reasonable period afterwards.