What's new

Which AC router for Merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brummygit

Very Senior Member
Help

It's time to retire my RT-N66U and swap to a newer AC router. I specifically want to run Asuswrt-Merlin.

My priorities are:
  • Wireless Range / Performance
  • Stability
  • QoS as we have a number of heavy users in our house
My current connection is 70Mb down 20 Mb up BT Infinity VDSL but I'm happy to use a VDSL modem.

Should I go with AC68, AC87 or AC3200?

Thanks for any advice

I would buy both the RT-AC68U (or 'P' from Best Buy) and the RT-AC3200 routers and see which gives the best performance for your uses and environment. Return the lessor one.

Both support RMerlin firmware. :)

At Newegg a refurb 68 is $120 and a refurb 87 is $150.

Help

It's time to retire my RT-N66U and swap to a newer AC router. I specifically want to run Asuswrt-Merlin.

My priorities are:
  • Wireless Range / Performance
  • Stability
  • QoS as we have a number of heavy users in our house
My current connection is 70Mb down 20 Mb up BT Infinity VDSL but I'm happy to use a VDSL modem.

Thanks for any advice

For $100, the T-Mobile Cellspot (RT-AC68U) is available for T-Mobile customers. Some have signed up for T-Mobile service for a few days just to buy one. Postpaid customers are given indefinite loaners or can buy for $100. This was rated the #2 AC router on the smallnetbuilder site.

See the dd-wrt wiki here: http://tinyurl.com/asuscellspot

For $100, the T-Mobile Cellspot (RT-AC68U) is available for T-Mobile customers. Some have signed up for T-Mobile service for a few days just to buy one. Postpaid customers are given indefinite loaners or can buy for $100. This was rated the #2 AC router on the smallnetbuilder site.

See the dd-wrt wiki here: http://tinyurl.com/asuscellspot

But only for accounts with phones that are capable of T-Mobile's wifi calling scheme. If you are bringing your own phone, on the tablet promotional plan, on a $3/month pay-go plan or are on the $30 Walmart plan, not the way to go.

Thanks everyone, I went with the AC68U and so far I'm very pleased.

Thanks everyone, I went with the AC68U and so far I'm very pleased.

and for our US friends care to share how much these cost in the UK ? That CE marked 3-pin 230VAC adaptor usually means the tech exchange rate is close to 1 USD/GBP!

I paid £129 which at today's rate on Google is $200 US

AC68U series - hands down - stable and mature - fast, and it's issues are a known quantity for the Asus community here.

The 87U has is QTN issues, and the RT3200 is an evolutionary dead-end, two AC1900 radios in one box and all the attendant complexities there...

I have the AC87 running the latest Merlin firmware and have had zero issues. The only time it goes down is when I decide to reboot it. Solid router just like my Nighthawk which also runs unofficial Merlin.