What's new

Which Drive to stream videos from?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GeneJockey

Occasional Visitor
Not sure if this is being posted in the right spot but I have a streaming/hardware question.

I have just purchased and set up an RT-AC68U router. For multimedia (mostly video) streaming from my Windows PC to my Roku-enabled TV and/or to another Smart TV in the house, what is the best place to originate streaming from: an internal drive on my PC, or a USB drive mounted directly to the router?

In the past all my streaming came from internal drives since I never had the luxury on my previous setup to attach a network drive to my router. Now that I do have that option, is there value in using that location as my primary streaming location or am I better to stick to a SATA drive inside the PC

Thanks.

If the connection to the router will be USB, 2 or 3, I say don't do it.

Buy a NAS with a LAN connection instead. Much less power used than PC, probably 3 or 4 times the real world performance of a USB connected device and it will offer other extras as well for you.

Not sure if this is being posted in the right spot but I have a streaming/hardware question.

I have just purchased and set up an RT-AC68U router. For multimedia (mostly video) streaming from my Windows PC to my Roku-enabled TV and/or to another Smart TV in the house, what is the best place to originate streaming from: an internal drive on my PC, or a USB drive mounted directly to the router?

In the past all my streaming came from internal drives since I never had the luxury on my previous setup to attach a network drive to my router. Now that I do have that option, is there value in using that location as my primary streaming location or am I better to stick to a SATA drive inside the PC

Thanks.

I had a RT-N56U as a main router for a couple of years and streamed music from it via USB and I was happy with it. Videos were hit or miss only because of the format; ASUS doesn't support all formats. Today I'm using Twonky on my QNAP NAS drive. I went in that direction because it seemed more secure for non media files than having a shared USB drive hanging off my router. I don't know if that's the case, it just seemed that way.

If you have a spare USB drive around, try it out. You can always spend money later if you later find it's not suitable.

I stream from my PC to all my tv's.
On my pc i use a server program called serviio, reason being, serviio transcodes movies into a format playable by my tv's, as you probably know tv's won't play all formats.
Once serviio is installed on the pc go to source on your tv (if it's a samsung ), (home>media player if it's a sony) and it see's serviio, then just navigate through the folders etc.

Paul.

A windows share is almost always faster than a usb attached to a NAS/router. You could try it and do some tests as the usb speeds may be fast enough.

Routers are slower as streamers or file servers but aside if speed isnt important than using the router is a good idea. Otherwise you should stream from a NAS or PC or even your ps3.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!