What's new

Which firmware for best VPN support? 3.0.0.4.318 isn't really suitable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MKANET

Regular Contributor
I just started using VPN on my ASUS RT-N56U after upgrading to firmware version 3.0.0.4.318.

First thing I noticed... When connecting to PPTP or L2TP, DDNS stops working. It appears to be caused by the firmware not being smart enough to use the correct network interface to NAT out of. Also, the Internet connectivity icon shows as disabled; even though I'm VPNing out; but, seem to be other underlying issues. I get different results depending on which VPN service provider I use.

Does anyone know if there is a custom firmware that fully handles VPN/DDNS much better than 3.0.0.4.318 (without breaking other core features)? If there's OpenVPN support too, that would be great.

I never checked how good the support for VPN was on firmware 1.x.x.x (blue color UI). I know there are some custom firmwares floating around for the RT-N56U; but, dont want to install anything thats a PITA to install or has other core features missing.

Really? 67 People viewed this and not one person has any information? Is there a better SmallNetBuilder.com sub-forum to post on?

Hopefully, I'm not the first person who is using PPTP/L2TP with DDNS.

That maybe they simply havent face the exact problem you are having. I may not be answering your answer either. but i do have something to advice on. I used the 318 since it came out and lasted 48hours. i reflash it back to the beta 206. but right now, i am running the new build from padavan which i love most now. its the 3.0.3.3-042. the best thing about it, you can install openvpn via optware. go check it out. I am using it with pptp without any problem. =)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!