What's new

Which is better for AC 3x3 router ac clients 3x3 or ac bridge 3x3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ulaganath

Very Senior Member
Hi Guys

Let discuss if the ac wireless really works well with clients support 1 to 3 spatial stream or same device in bridge mode.

I believe the marketing gimic of combined speed is of not use. As not even 50% of rated speed is acheivable even if ac and n clients started talking for data transfer as one or the other way the router stall for serving query of multiple request . Its for wave 1 ac not current wave 2.

but fine its not now so much of devices talking to router for data all the time it keep varies.

When needed can 1 device get the max out of rate 1gb speed let be ISP based or Local connect PC devices or NAS

Nope its always being blamed on external factors this that.

None were able to provide a reliable data or capable but still some say upto 1300 which is more sense than 1900 , 2400, 2600, 3200 & now even 5200.

Can the 5200 even server proper 1gb line for 1 single devices , Nope i dont think so.

Keep posting your feedback on which works best ac client or dual bridge mode setup.

I really had doubt for ac usb or pci-e adaptor as they either not powerfull enough to recieve signals strongly nor fully rated to match the ac1300 speed.

Err, yeah 5200 probably could max out a 1Gbps connection. My Ac1750 router to an AC1900 bridge/range extender can hit 107MB/sec, which is about 860Mbps one room and a wall over. If they were same room, it might just max a 1Gbps wired connection.

802.11ac has a theoretical max with coding and parity overhead of around 82% IIRC. We are generally no where near that on most products, especially when you are looking at mobile Wifi chipsets. A decent client is hitting 50-55% and a really good one is hitting around 60% right now. Base station to base station bridges are typically much better, in the 65-70% range in part because of higher gain antennas and more powerful radios, in part because of better signal processing. This was true of 11n as well and eventually with more advanced 11n client chipsets they caught up (current best 11ac chipsets I have seen operating in 64QAM 11n mode (150Mbps per stream)) can hit 76% yield, which is the max of 11n after coding and parity overhead.

Things will slowly improve for 11ac, so you'll likely see clients and base stations in a few years that can hit in the 70-80% range.

Which is beyond a gig for a 3:3 client-base station connection.

In testing with that AC1750 router, I can saturate my 1Gbps wired connection by hitting it on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz at the same time. Max I can generate is that 107MB/sec down 5GHz and 26MB/sec up on 2.4GHz at the exact same time. That is about 1100Mbps total. It caps around 98MB/sec down and 20MB/sec down on 5GHz and 2.4GHz respectively. That is using my Intel 7260ac client on 2.4GHz (40MHz) and my AC1900 range extender in client bridge mode on 5GHz (80MHz).

An extremely unlikely situation, but I can hit wire limitations in the right testing situations with my AC1750 router right now.

Now let's welcome out MU:MIMO AC2400/2600 overlords with better clients and see what happens in a year or two.

It is less about finding a client that can saturate a 1Gbps wired connection all on its own via wireless. It is more about the router itself being able to handle >1Gbps for multiple clients.

We need link aggregation because of this. I notice the upcoming AC5200 router DOES have 2 port LAG, which is a GOOD thing. It'll probably be awhile to find a realistic client mix that can actually leverage 2 port LAG, but it'll be here sooner rather than later. I'd rather a router that can support future needs than one that is limited to what is on the market today.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!