What's new

Which Mesh Wifi for three separate buildings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BrainSuperGlue

New Around Here
Dear Hive Mind,

I need your advice...

I need to set up a charity with a mesh wifi system.

They are based in three separate yet connected buildings. The total building coverage is 4863 SQ FT / 452 SQ M

Each building has standalone power and we can't drill cables through the connecting walls, hence looking for a mesh system with a dedicated wireless backhaul. This also means I can't use a PoE switch or powerline adapters for a physical backhaul as each building is on standalone power.

The core router would need to run a VPN (OpenVPN et al) plus they need to have a captive portal to offer wifi to their customers so 802.1Q would be a bonus.

So...

Should I look for a mesh system to provide the coverage and run a separate box to run the VPN and the Captive Portal or is there a mesh system that can provide all of the requirements?

Any thoughts would be very helpful.

Many thanks

BSG

Building setup.JPG

Best chance at getting this to work would be with original Orbi with two satellites.

Best chance at getting this to work would be with original Orbi with two satellites.

OK, looking at the specs, the original RBK50 with its additional satellite covered 5000 SQFT but with the core Orbi having to be in the middle (Building B) with the Internet connection, the satellite would surely go in the larger Building A. If I matched the Orbi satellite (RBS50) and put a second in Building C then the coverage would be getting on for 7500 SQFT which given we're trying to keep costs down a tad overkill for 4900 SQFT.

However, I like the idea of the core and the two satellites.

The Orbi RBK52W has the full sized core and two wall plug satellites that cover 5500 SQFT so that would be good.
https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk52w.aspx

I like that the Orbi can host the VPN. Reading the manual for the guest network, it can lock down guest visibility on a different subnet but cannot see it has a captive portal option. I'll have to talk through with Netgear about how we could put a captive portal permissions server into the mix as we need the customers to sign / agree T&Cs before they get their free wifi.

OK, looking at the specs, the original RBK50 with its additional satellite covered 5000 SQFT but with the core Orbi having to be in the middle (Building B) with the Internet connection, the satellite would surely go in the larger Building A. If I matched the Orbi satellite (RBS50) and put a second in Building C then the coverage would be getting on for 7500 SQFT which given we're trying to keep costs down a tad overkill for 4900 SQFT.

However, I like the idea of the core and the two satellites.

The Orbi RBK52W has the full sized core and two wall plug satellites that cover 5500 SQFT so that would be good.
https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk52w.aspx

I like that the Orbi can host the VPN. Reading the manual for the guest network, it can lock down guest visibility on a different subnet but cannot see it has a captive portal option. I'll have to talk through with Netgear about how we could put a captive portal permissions server into the mix as we need the customers to sign / agree T&Cs before they get their free wifi.

How far is it from the internal DP to the center of each adjacent building? And what kind of wiring/cabling does exist between the DP and the other buildings? Which router(s) do they currently have on site?

How far is it from the internal DP to the center of each adjacent building? And what kind of wiring/cabling does exist between the DP and the other buildings? Which router(s) do they currently have on site?

I'd have to measure directly. Given the routers talk in area, I've been going with that. Building A is 1945 SQFT, Buildings B and C are 1459 SQFT each. So if you look down at the rectangle roof from above, the Internet DP is nearer the wall and the rear of building B as in the picture.

The block of three buildings originally had three different companies in them with different landlords.

There is no physical networking cabling between them and they all have separate power feeds / meters, hence looking for a wireless backhaul approach.

The router onsite at the moment is a basic business Plusnet Hub One which when you're in the office to the far left wall of Building A is very weak or not at all.

Last edited:
You can’t plan based on just the square footage as the actual area covered greatly depends on the construction of the building. Every wall, duct, mirror, plumbing fixture, and other obstruction will attenuate the signal and reduce the area covered. If the walls of the building are built with steel-reinforced concrete, you may be lucky to get any signal at all between the buildings.

It might work or it might not but I wouldn’t assume it’s going to work based on your description. You definitely at least need to do some preliminary testing before deciding on a course of action.

You can’t plan based on just the square footage as the actual area covered greatly depends on the construction of the building. Every wall, duct, mirror, plumbing fixture, and other obstruction will attenuate the signal and reduce the area covered. If the walls of the building are built with steel-reinforced concrete, you may be lucky to get any signal at all between the buildings.

It might work or it might not but I wouldn’t assume it’s going to work based on your description. You definitely at least need to do some preliminary testing before deciding on a course of action.

Indeed,

The walls between the properties are uncovered breezeblock / cinderblock. I have already walked around reading the existing wifi RSSI values, given placement of the current wifi router. This showed as expected that the lower left corner of Building A (the furthest from the router) is the weakest signal.

I have identified a location a satellite could be placed in Building A to cover the weakest wifi area plus have good placement for backhaul comms back to a core router. Given the core router almost sits next to the right wall of Building B, a satellite plugged into the right wall of Building C would work fine.

So yes, I have done preliminary testing.

My goal now is how to get a captive portal working with the core router, given the Orbi doesn't have one built into the firmware.

I have raised the issue on the Netgear Community website.

If anyone has any captive portal experience, it would be gratefully received.

BSG

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!