What's new

Which NAS is powerful enough?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mattmac24

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

Im looking for some advice, at the moment i use an old desktop computer as my NAS running ubuntu and i have it setup to run the following:

SMB/AFP streaming
TimeMachine Backup
SABnzbd (Downloading at 10 MB/Sec)
Sick Beard
CouchPotato
Plex Server (Transcoding 1080P movies)

It is about 4 years old and has a total storage of 2TB. Ideally i would like to replace it with a 9 or 12 TB RAID 5 setup inside a all in one black box(maintenance free!). Has anybody had any experience running all this from a single NAS? Im unsure about how fast the CPU has to be but hopefully somebody has achieved all this before.

Which brand is the best for installing this software? currently i have several options(looking for a 4 or 5 bay):

QNAP TS-569L
QNAP TS-469 Pro

Synology DS412+

Thecus N4800
Thecus N5550

At the moment im leaning towards the Thecus N5550. Its cheaper and the programs im interested in seem to be (unofficially) supported according to their forums, but i just wanted to get a point of view from somebody who has done all this before. Thanks

I don't think the better NASes like Synology/QNAP can be used to transcode - too much CPU load.. And some of those P2P file sharing programs may not be standard on such NASes.

Downloading at 10MB/s (from the Internet) ... wow. That's quite some ISP.

I don't think the better NASes like Synology/QNAP can be used to transcode - too much CPU load.. And some of those P2P file sharing programs may not be standard on such NASes.

Downloading at 10MB/s (from the Internet) ... wow. That's quite some ISP.

So maybe ill just skip on the plex part.

I got pretty lucky with where i live and cheap fast internet availability :).

So i guess a new question: Given what i want to do, if i go with the cheaper thecus NAS am i missing out on features/speed that only the Synology/QNAP can offer?

Thanks

on Thecus vs. Synology vs. QNAP... have you tried their web site demos? You can get a feel as to ease of use. As to speed, I think all of them will transfer at speeds limited by the LAN and/or the PCs' file systems and all nodes' disk speeds. In normal use, without gigabyte sized files, this is especially true.

Those three vendors are, IMO, the best choices, versus mass marketed products.