What's new

Which one should I get? Asus RT-N66U VS AC-56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mustafa803

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

I am using an RT-N16. It is serving me well but I would like to get one with a 5GHz band as I am living in a crowded 2.4GHz band neighborhood. Also I am getting some stuttering when I try using chromecast to cast/mirror from my phone to the tv as the video stream has to go from the (internet-router-phone-router-chromecast-tv). I tried every many different firmwares and many different settings. I also tried overclocking from 480,240 to 532,266 but I still get the stuttering. I am not sure if this is a cpu or 2.4GHz interference issue so i want to upgrade.

Both the RT-N66U and AC-56U are selling for a similar price here in Canada. I am not sure which one I should pick at this point. I have 6-8 devices, 3 on ethernet and the rest are on wireless. I also need the USB. I don't use VPN.

Should I pick the RT-N66U with the 3 antennas? or should I go with the AC56U with the internal antennas, better processor and USB 3? Have the internal 2.4GHz antenna issue on AC56U been resolved? Will I benefit from the better processor for chromecast casting?

Also, What is the latest hardware revisions for both routers?

so here is my pov

the n16 is well past its prime and its wifi coverage and throughput just wont keep up with what you are doing streaming wise so its wise to upgrade

now i would forget the 66u as its not the best and has some issues and is also quite old tech wise

and to be honest i havent tested the ac56u but its been a bit plagued with issues and i have never liked internal antennas

if you going to spend money on a new router you may as well get one thats known to work well out of the box and you may as well make it a 1900ac class router as that class just seem to have it right and most brands have a 1900ac class router that works fine

asus rt-ac68u

netgear r7000

tp link archer C9

dlink dir-880L

so find a bit of extra $$ and just get something that works as it seems you like to keep hold of your router a loooooong time , its prob worth the extra investment

If you don't need solid 2.4ghz performance I would go with AC56U
The only problem that I am facing with this router is abysmal 2.4Ghz performance. 5Ghz on the other hands works perfectly

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!