What's new

Which router for openvpn server and RT-N66U support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chichow

Regular Contributor
Hi Merlin,

Right now I have a RT-N66U and a 100Mbps fiber connection. I'd like to buy another Asus router and plop it down to the USA (also 100Mbps) and connect the two via Openvpn.

Question:
  • How much longer will the RT-N66U be supported? It's cheap at 100 USD now, but I'd not want to buy another and have to replace two in the near future
  • Any benefit to going to the 3200 with a dual processor? or since am coming from overseas w/ a RT-N66U, I'm bottlenecked already regardless of processor.
  • So any recommendations for the second router?

Thanks much!

Hi Merlin,

Right now I have a RT-N66U and a 100Mbps fiber connection. I'd like to buy another Asus router and plop it down to the USA (also 100Mbps) and connect the two via Openvpn.

Question:
  • How much longer will the RT-N66U be supported? It's cheap at 100 USD now, but I'd not want to buy another and have to replace two in the near future
  • Any benefit to going to the 3200 with a dual processor? or since am coming from overseas w/ a RT-N66U, I'm bottlenecked already regardless of processor.
  • So any recommendations for the second router?

Thanks much!

An RT-N66U will be CPU capped at around 20 MB/s. If OpenVPN is a primary goal, go with a more modern ARM router. The RT-AC68U would probably be the best choice right now. Even if the N66U will be the bottleneck, you won't be painting yourself in a corner if you decide to upgrade it in the near future.

No idea about the N66U support, it will first be up to Asus, as I rely on their own source code.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!