What's new

Which router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KevTech

Very Senior Member
My brother is moving to a different state and asked me if I had a router he could have.

He said his new house is about 1900 square feet and the modem/router will be at the opposite end of the house from the living room.
He only has two devices that support AC (phones) and all the rest are N.

I have these two routers I am not using right now.

RT-N66U
RT-AC56U

He said he wants the AC56 but I told him the 66U may be better for him as the range would be better.

Thoughts?

If you flash the latest official firmware (recommended for security reasons) on any router, the range will be very similar. Unless you opt for the RMerlin forks for them.

The reason to go for one or the other is if he has a 3x3:3 client or not.

The RT-AC56U is the one I'd prefer to run my network.

Using any router that is located at the opposite end of the area you want coverage in is not recommended at all. Suggest he runs a few LAN cables (can find them 'flat', online) so that he can better locate the router to the central coverage area it is required for.

Is 1900 SqFt on a single floor? Or is it closer to 950 SqFt on two floors instead?

Unless the wall, ceiling and/or floor construction is denser than normal, either router will work on a multilevel home of that square footage.

I don't know the home floor plan.

He wanted the AC56 so I guess I will just give him that one if the range is about the same.

Either one - he should be fine - but remind him that with WiFi, location of the AP relative to the clients is most important... can't beat physics at the end of the day, but even within a 1600 sq ft residence, he should get 2.4 easily enough...