What's new

Which wifi router for using OpenVPN via router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Czywy

New Around Here
Hi all,
Firstly let me introduce myself: I am Czywy I am new here and currently looking for a new wifi router. I am currently upgrading all my hardware so I am curious what to get.

I am currently imagining to let the router directly connect via OpenVPN so that all devices will be connected through VPN is first place.

I have read a lot the past few days and it came to my attention that of course the speed performance will suffer due to CPU capabilities.

For the moment, I was thinking about the following routers:
- R7000 running either uptodate Netgear firmware or DD-RWT
- AC68U running Merlin
- AC87U running Merlin

Now I am getting a bit concerned that the overall download speed I will get from outside might be too low and the performance of all 3 routers, handling the direct OpenVPN usage might will suffer too much (I have read many things about the R7000 freezing for example).

What are your thoughts of which router I should run for the described setup?

What's your internet speed?
Ac68P is good choice because of 1GHz cpu (same as ac87u), and it will handle up to 5 MB/s total.
If you need more then only choice is ac88u which has 1,4GHz cpu.

What's your internet speed?
Ac68P is good choice because of 1GHz cpu (same as ac87u), and it will handle up to 5 MB/s total.
If you need more then only choice is ac88u which has 1,4GHz cpu.
It's all about the CPU speed - see here my measurement on a 1.2 GHz overclocked AC68U rooter!

Hey guys,
Thank you very much for your replies, I eventually went for the R7000 as i got a sweet deal! (at least I hope ;) ).

I flashed it with DD-RWT and all seems fine except one thing:
After OpenVPN setup, it seems WIFI connections aren't covered, while LAN connections are. Strange.