Which wireless adapter should I buy to gain advantage of N66U

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by Linning, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Linning

Linning Occasional Visitor

I'm going to buy the ASUS N66U router. I have a desktop and I need a wireless adapter. I've looked at the ASUS PCE-N15, but I'm not sure if this is the best wireless adapter to gain advantage of the ASUS N66U. Would I be better off going USB or Ethernet or PCI express? I'm new to networking. What specs should I be comparing when I look for wireless adapters?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074

2. KevTech

KevTech Senior Member

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Go with PCI-Express whenever possible. USB 2.0 would be pushing it to its limit, so you might get some better performance out of PCI-Express.

PCI-Express card also tend to have better antennas.

4. Linning

5. Mangix

Mangix Occasional Visitor

There are many PCI-E wireless adapters. Note that most or all of them are PCI-E x1. Even though that motherboard has a full x16 slot, it should still fit. PCI-E x16 is designed to be compatible with smaller sizes(but not vice versa).

So the adapter that you linked to in your original post will definitely work.

Notes on USB vs. PCI-E: PCI-E x1 offers bandwidth of up to 500 mbps. USB does 480 mbps. Not a huge difference. Both are duplex. EDIT: That's actually 4000 mbps for PCI-E x1. 500 mBps.

Those really high 1.3GHz speeds that you hear thrown around with AC devices are actually half duplex. Which means you devide 1.3 by two to get 650 mbps. Not only that, but those are some seriously theoretical numbers.

You're thinking of doing N only as far as I can tell, which means the bandwidth of USB is more than enough. 300mbps again is half duplex so 150 mbps. Realistically, I've been able to get around 50 mbps in testing but I've never tested with an N66U ;).

USB also has the advantage of controlling the placement of the adapter. Many times you will get better performance by re positioning the antenna. This can be a huge advantage.

If I were you, I'd get a USB wireless adapter. My recommendation is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166046

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  6. Linning

7. RMerlin

PCI-Express will always be better. Better antennas (better diversity too), less overhead involved than through USB.

The only reasons for someone to go USB are:

1) Laptops
    2) Need to use it on different computers
    3) End-user not technically skilled enough to open his PC and install a new card

8. preacher

preacher Occasional Visitor

If speed is important forget wifi and use home plugs. Much stabler and better speeds than n

9. got_milk

got_milk Regular Contributor

10. DaveMishSr

DaveMishSr Senior Member

You have no PCIe slots other than one graphics card slot so you will have to go with USB. Personally, I had great luck with TrendNET's TEW-684UB when I was running a RT-N66U. I also have a EA-N66 I got as an open box special but its expensive and the TEW-684UB is just as good, for a lot less.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156321&Tpk=TEW-684UB

11. RogerSC

RogerSC Very Senior Member

I'm currently using a Linksys AE3000...I was happy to see it connect at 450Mb/s on 5GHz. Haven't measured the actual throughput, though, but I had it on my main computer (a laptop) that I do a lot with (streaming video, downloading DVD's, etc.), and it did fine for several days, no problems.

One afterthoght, though, it is a "manual" install on Windows 8. You download the Windows 7 driver, unzip it, and point the Device Manager entry for the AE3000 at it, and the Device Manager installs the driver. Works well on Windows 8, but Linksys/Cisco/whoever should really add Windows 8 installation pieces.

12. RMerlin

Damn. This motherboard sure is crazy limited in terms of expansion :( If you use the on-board graphics then you could use that X16 for your wireless card, but that would prevent any future video upgrade.

13. sabot105mm

sabot105mm Regular Contributor

Take a look at the ae3000 dualband 3x3. Mine I got for 25 certified refurb from cisco
    lan speedtest: reading and writing to an NTFS HDD connected to the router

AP was 15 feet away separated by a one wall
    5ghz 20mhz download upload MBps
    ave 6.2 3.6
    max 6.9 4.0
    min 5.8 3.3

2.5ghz 20mhz download upload MBps
    ave 4.6 3.1
    max 5.4 3.5
    min 4.2 2.2

5ghz 40mhz download upload MBps
    ave 7.8 3.7
    max 9.2 4.4
    min 5.8 3.3

2.5ghz 40mhz download upload MBps
    ave 6.1 3.3
    max 7.4 3.7
    min 4.8 2.7

14. Mangix

Mangix Occasional Visitor

That particular motherboard is designed for AMD CPUs that have built-in GPUs. You could add an extension card but there's close to no point.

Stick with USB. It's got a long life to live.

15. dikkiedirk

dikkiedirk Regular Contributor

Just got a TEW-684 from Amazon. Works great with my N66U. Its connected to my laptop and am now able to play Bluray rips from my unraid server over WiFi.