What's new

Why does the RT-N66U need to restart after configuration changes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ezhangin

Occasional Visitor
It's been a while since I've used Tomato on a WRT54GL, but I don't recall Tomato having to restart the router / internet connection when I change port forwarding settings (and others). If the RT-N66U is based off of Tomato-RT why does it have to do this? It's not a deal breaker or anything it's just an annoyance.

I guess it is a matter of configuration files being created from values read from nvram during boot. Changing configuration changes the values in nvram, so to enable the changes the configurations files will need to be recreated and applicable services restarted.

Of course it could be possible to just call the applicable functions for this, however separating the code into separate functions for each type of configuration will probable make the firmware larger. So it's easier to just reboot the device to have everything re-created.

Often, the issue is the other settings that are on the same webui page. The router doesn't seem intelligent enough to detect what you changed on that page, so it will restart every service that could be affected if you had changed every setting on that page.

This is something I'd like to take a look at eventually, just never got the time to.
Conditional service restarts can be implemented on the webui, I've done it myself with the Other Settings page that I added.

Often, the issue is the other settings that are on the same webui page. The router doesn't seem intelligent enough to detect what you changed on that page, so it will restart every service that could be affected if you had changed every setting on that page.

This is something I'd like to take a look at eventually, just never got the time to.
Conditional service restarts can be implemented on the webui, I've done it myself with the Other Settings page that I added.

If you can do something to this I will highly appreciate it. I change some settings quite often so I have to reboot the router frequently. RT-N66U isn't the fastest-rebooting router either...