What's new

why I drop bandwidth on my Network???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Caleb Nazario

New Around Here
I keep a basic (almost default) LAN / WAN system at my house... I have Bright-house for ISP (35gbps / 2gbps). My issue is that if I connect directly to the modem I do get (+-) 35GBps, but if I by using the router it drop to about 15 Gbps... any suggestions that I can look into that be great...

My Networks is pretty much simple:
  • Bright-House ISP
  • Motorola SurfBoard SBG6580 Cable Modem own by BH
  • Asus RT-AC68U running AsusWRT-Merlin Firmware 378.52_2
  • Seagate external 3tb hard drive connected to the router via USB 3.0 (media storage)
  • Cisco Small Business SD2008 Gigabyte 8 port switch
  • Dell XPS Studio 8000 "my office" (Cat-5e wire)
  • MagicJack connected to my office pc via USB
  • Epson WF-7610 (wireless) (Cat-5e wire)
  • Dell Optiplex 755 "Garage PC" (Cat-5e wire)
  • 45" Visio LED "Master Room" (Cat-5e wire)
  • Asus GoogleTV Cube "Master Room" (wireless)
  • 70" Visio LED SmartTV "Family Room" (wireless)
  • Sony Media Player smp-n100 "Guest Room" (wireless)
  • Ipad Mini (wireless)
  • Ipad2 (wireless)
  • 2 Samsung Galaxy phones (Note 3, G-5)

I had Bright-House to replace the the cable modem several times... so it most be a configuration issue...
Any who... any leads are more than welcome...

I assume your entire network connects to the RT-AC68U, right? Do you experience the slowdown on both wired and wireless clients? That would be the first place to start.

You have 35 Gbps for a home connection??? Sure you're not mistaken with Mbps?

I assume your entire network connects to the RT-AC68U, right? Do you experience the slowdown on both wired and wireless clients? That would be the first place to start.
Let see... faster without the router vs slower with the router "Wire" even do, why the lost?

wireless should have no issue pushing 35Mb/s especially with wireless N.

Try do a factory reset and see if it helps. Make sure you do not set speed limits and disable the scheduler just to be sure. If you use QoS on ASUS be sure to set the speed correctly about 80% of your internet speed.

I second the suggestion to do a factory reset, given that you're experiencing the slowdown with wired connections as well.

I would go one step further and say this: don't even setup the router. Reset the router to defaults and do the basic Internet configuration to make sure it's online. Then press the wireless radio button on the outside of the router to disable the wireless entirely. Plug a computer in via cable and try it, see if it's still slow.

Do you have the 6580 in bridge mode ? Cascading two routers together can cause all kinds of wired issues.

Excellent suggestion. I guess we shouldn't assume that the 6580 is setup as a bridge until the OP states that it is.

Last edited:
I keep a basic (almost default) LAN / WAN system at my house... I have Bright-house for ISP (35gbps / 2gbps). My issue is that if I connect directly to the modem I do get (+-) 35GBps, but if I by using the router it drop to about 15 Gbps... any suggestions that I can look into that be great...

My Networks is pretty much simple:
  • Bright-House ISP
  • Motorola SurfBoard SBG6580 Cable Modem own by BH
  • Asus RT-AC68U running AsusWRT-Merlin Firmware 378.52_2
  • Seagate external 3tb hard drive connected to the router via USB 3.0 (media storage)
  • Cisco Small Business SD2008 Gigabyte 8 port switch
  • Dell XPS Studio 8000 "my office" (Cat-5e wire)
  • MagicJack connected to my office pc via USB
  • Epson WF-7610 (wireless) (Cat-5e wire)
  • Dell Optiplex 755 "Garage PC" (Cat-5e wire)
  • 45" Visio LED "Master Room" (Cat-5e wire)
  • Asus GoogleTV Cube "Master Room" (wireless)
  • 70" Visio LED SmartTV "Family Room" (wireless)
  • Sony Media Player smp-n100 "Guest Room" (wireless)
  • Ipad Mini (wireless)
  • Ipad2 (wireless)
  • 2 Samsung Galaxy phones (Note 3, G-5)

I had Bright-House to replace the the cable modem several times... so it most be a configuration issue...
Any who... any leads are more than welcome...

Caleb,

My name is Gary Doda and I am the Forums Manager for Bright House Networks. What WAN IP is showing in your Asus router? Does it show a 192.168.x.x or is it something different?