What's new

Why is the number of clients always so wrong?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zekesdad

Regular Contributor
I have a N66U and AC68U, at work and home respectively, and both on 380.63_2. When i log in at work it will says something like 30 clients (there's almost no machines with access) and 90 at home, yet clicking on them will bring up 4 machines at work and maybe 15 at home. I don't understand the point of whats going on here.

Time to make sure your wifi is properly secured. The client list will show a count that includes connected and disconnected clients as well. Clicking on the icon to see the list gives it time to do a rescan of the network, to remove disconnected clients.

It is indeed the "standard" behaviour of the Client list since many firmware versions.
As long as the initial numer of clients does not exceed the total number of known clients that CAN possibly be connected I won't worry. Maybe make a screen shot before the refresh to check the list.
Another list to watch is DHCP Leases under System Log, there should not be any unknown devices in this list.

Time to make sure your wifi is properly secured. The client list will show a count that includes connected and disconnected clients as well. Clicking on the icon to see the list gives it time to do a rescan of the network, to remove disconnected clients.

Memory escapes me, but wasn't there a glitch at one point where Network Map was tracking 802.11 probe requests from clients (whether allowed or not?)...

One thing is to telnet/ssh into the command line, and do a quick "arp -a" which should show all current clients that the device knows about - and then compare the two..

Memory escapes me, but wasn't there a glitch at one point where Network Map was tracking 802.11 probe requests from clients (whether allowed or not?)...

Not that I'm aware of. Networkmap has always been arp-based. You might be thinking of the wireless log client list perhaps, which doesn't show just associated/authenticated clients in some cases (tho I've never seen it happen myself).

You might be thinking of the wireless log client list perhaps, which doesn't show just associated/authenticated clients in some cases (tho I've never seen it happen myself).

That might be the one, and yes, some have reported similar, but not on a consistent basis across models/firmware revisions...

One thing is to telnet/ssh into the command line, and do a quick "arp -a" which should show all current clients that the device knows about - and then compare the two..
It seems to me by trying that "arp -a" shows the active clients only, not those memorised by the initial client list.

It seems to me by trying that "arp -a" shows the active clients only, not those memorised by the initial client list.

arp should be a subset of the client list - and anything that is in arp but not in the client list should probably be checked out.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!