What's new

Why my ISP given ADSL- WAN router port is a 10/100 port and not a gigabyte

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

red_pope

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

Recently I notice that my bottle neck broadband speeds starts at the WAN port of my ISP given ADSL router. We don't have fiber but strictly copper lines. Our nearest Junction ADSL cabinet is approximately 1200 meter from my location. Our ADSL router has no BER, OR nasty CRC that could impact our data transmission.

Brief description:
I understand that my service contract is 8Mb total. That is not the issue in question. Everything runs smooth so far. I understand that living in a rural area far away from the city is not prime to others.

I always like to tinker with the thinker.

Our LAN is already a gigabyte, but when our data, reaches the WAN port drops to 100 Mbit/s.

How could I improve, my throughput of the ISP router WAN port? Would it help by replacing with a different ADSL router that carries a GIGABYTE WAN port? Will there be issues with the ISP server.?

Any advise will be read, research and mitigated in pure form.

Thank You for your time and reading

The only thing you will gain is a very slight latency improvement.

8Mbit ADSL is where the most important limitation exists. Unless you have VDSL, 24Mbit is your maximum WAN speed, so 100Mbit LAN ports are not causing you any noticeable slowdowns.

Are you not achieving your 8Mbit speeds?
Are you experiencing problems or simply trying to improve your connection?

Tweaking the ADSL or ATM settings of consumer-level CPE will rarely make any noticeable improvements, unless you are suffering from a misconfiguration. If latency is a priority, confirm that your ADSL is "fast-path" rather than interleaved.

Last edited:
Theres no point having more than a 100Mb/s for ADSL as the maximum of ADSL 2 is 25Mb/s. network speeds are measured in bits and not bytes so your lan ports are gigabits (125MB/s not 1GB/s)

Well the broadband speed that your paying is not the limitation, that is what you already paying for. I believe the base-band data that travels across the wires is already 100t-base because of your ISP router WAN PORT is already 100Mb but increasing it to 1000 mb on the WAN Ethernet adapter will it improve the base-band.

In lamers term, a 100Mb is a two way lane highway, but when you increase to 1000Mb, then you open extra lanes from two to a four lane, traffic moves swiftly, but the maximum speed is 8Mbit. Baseband will increase. That will be the space, I'm trying to capture. I did called my ISP, and they all running gigabyte connections from the server. According to them my WAN speed could support 25Mbit and it is Interleaving. They don't provide fast-path.

Another example: Your broadband still the same, but when you change your DNS server to a close Location the Ping result will show low latency and your base-band is improve, resulting in better and faster resolution. Yet you are limit to your 8mbits. That is what I'm looking for better base band with less latency. Not broadband increase.

Why I believe you could improve your baseband and the same time leaving your broadband intact: Read this article: http://www.iasj.net/iasj?func=fulltext&aId=29498 look for the ADSL paragraph. I believe it will affect nothing and still legal. Another thing that I find out, why the ISP don't want to issue routers with gigabyte WAN port to a new consumer is because of economical reasons, less the expenditure, and better profit to them.

Last edited:
Theres no point having more than a 100Mb/s for ADSL as the maximum of ADSL 2 is 25Mb/s. network speeds are measured in bits and not bytes so your lan ports are gigabits (125MB/s not 1GB/s)

I do not agree with your comment, , do not confuse baseband with broadband.
I'm not talking about broadband, but base band increase by using a WAN port that support gigabyte connection while using ADSL.

Last edited:
Even do is excellent information, but respectfully is not what I'm looking for is better base-band increase better resolution.

Simply your bottle neck is ADSL which is already mentioned. Argument does not improve anything.

I understand that my service contract is 8Mb total. That is not the issue in question. Everything runs smooth so far. I understand that living in a rural area far away from the city is not prime to others.

I always like to tinker with the thinker.

Our LAN is already a gigabyte, but when our data, reaches the WAN port drops to 100 Mbit/s.

Actually, not much of an impact - well within capabilities of fast ethernet - the only concern I would have perhaps is the connection being full-duplex vs. half-duplex...

Simply your bottle neck is ADSL which is already mentioned. Argument does not improve anything.

The day of the "bottle neck" was the day, my son had his friends came over, and the Asus WAS REGISTERING 11 android phones on the WIFI, 6 laptops on the wire side, I think they over kill was the the android phones. It was just a 2 minutes delay. The delay was a TCP issue not a UDP. I just manage my WIFI for those cell phones to 5 users in the guest network. After that everything was smooth. The laptops were doing just fine because they were using wire, not WIFI. I did told my son, Our WIFI for those android phones will a max of 5 user in the guest side. He did agree with me. Anyhow the LAN party was a success, their setup for the game was UDP.

How do I did troubleshoot?
I did used my GNU/LINUX laptop for my wireshark test on the wired and WIFI.

Last edited:
Actually, not much of an impact - well within capabilities of fast ethernet - the only concern I would have perhaps is the connection being full-duplex vs. half-duplex...

I agree! Before buying anything, I will research the specs on those router that uses gigabyte ADSL WAN Port. According to my ISP their equipment is already supporting Gigabyte connections.

Thank you.

Last edited:
The only possible benefit you will see going from 10/100 to gigabit on your modem is if there is an issue with flow control on your network.

Beyond that . . . no, you will see no benefit upgrading the modem.

My favorite ADSL router upgrade that could be replacing my current ISP router.

That would be: The ASUS DSL-AC68U and the AC1900 Nighthawk VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

Reasons:
Gigabit Internet Browsing with Hardware NAT on the ASUS DSL-AC68U

Equipped with powerful hardware NAT acceleration and built-in Gigabit Ethernet, the DSL-AC68U wireless modem router gives you full Gigabit LAN-to-WAN performance of more than 900 Mbps, which is over 4.5 x that of traditional software-based NAT Gigabit routers. This reduces the possibility of bottlenecks on fast Internet connection.

Nighthawk D7000

With speeds of up to 1.9 Gbps the Nighthawk D7000 Supports ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ and VDSL/VDSL2 and is compatible with any Internet service provider via the Gigabit Ethernet WAN port so you can future-proof your network.

So far so good,

but like sfx2000 said:
"Actually, not much of an impact - well within capabilities of fast ethernet - the only concern I would have perhaps is the connection being full-duplex vs. half-duplex..."

Of course, If a concrete and final decision is made to buy one. That will be done with a showcase of top dollar fashion show and acquire the Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router with MU-MIMO and Quad Stream technology. Of course this desire and wish has to be consulted with my spouse for final release and budget approval. :D

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!