What's new

Why only one ISP profile was removed from RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ARamos

Occasional Visitor
Hi all ASUS routers users,

I'm having some problems with my two RT-AC68U setup as main router/AiMesh node, and since I have already three equipment's that are equipped with WiFi6 interface, I have decided to buy a brand new RT-AX86U, and use it as main router.

When I perform a clean setup on booth RT-AC68U, I have 28 ISP profiles to select from and one Manual config (see first image).

When I perform a clean setup on the new RT-AX86U, I have 31 ISP profiles to select from and one Manual config (see second image). Comparing the RT-AX86U list to the RT-AC68U list, 3 ISP profiles are new: Free; Google-Fiber, Google-Fiber; and one is deleted: Meo.

Guess what, the one I need is the one deleted :oops:.

I know that this is hard to answer outside ASUS company, but does anyone knows why only this one was removed from the ISP profile list?
What big differences does the RT-AX86U have on the hardware that the Meo profile can't be included to use?
Is there any legal issues?

Thanks,
ARamos

AC68U.jpg AX86U.jpg

I'm having some problems with my two RT-AC68U setup as main router/AiMesh node, and since I have already three equipment's that are equipped with WiFi6 interface, I have decided to buy a brand new RT-AX86U, and use it as main router.

When I perform a clean setup on booth RT-AC68U, I have 28 ISP profiles to select from and one Manual config (see first image).

When I perform a clean setup on the new RT-AX86U, I have 31 ISP profiles to select from and one Manual config (see second image). Comparing the RT-AX86U list to the RT-AC68U list, 3 ISP profiles are new: Free; Google-Fiber, Google-Fiber; and one is deleted: Meo.

I know that this is hard to answer outside ASUS company, but does anyone knows why only this one was removed from the ISP profile list?
What big differences does the RT-AX86U have on the hardware that the Meo profile can't be included to use?

Thanks,
ARamos

View attachment 33350 View attachment 33351

Thanks,
ARamos
A quick Google yields http://asus-portugal.com/isp-config/routers-meo.html.

I don’t read Portuguese but the fact that it’s not listed on Asus Portugal’s website, I presume it’s a compatibility issue?

in which case, the info in this thread might be helpful?

hope you’ll find an answer for your question.

Thanks amortimer for the reply,

The search you have done on google I have done also, and I've read both.

The Asus Portugal’s website you link its old and outdated. This site was the reason why I bought the two RT-AC68U back in 2016.

To be honest i think this site is completely overlooked by ASUS Portugal.

As an example the router RT-AX86U supports Vodafone(Portugal). If you go to the ASUS site, the RT-AX86U is not listed, in fact there are no routers with AX technology listed. But again it is present on the router RT-AX86U.

This router is 2021 manufacturing, maybe they will release a update later.

For now one thing I'm sure, the support I did get from ASUS Iberia by phone and email, was so disappointing, the lack of knowledge and experience from those who tried to help me was impressive. What the hell are they doing there?

I'm still doing some research, I contacted other ASUS support centers, hopefully I will get better and concrete answers.

AX86U_2.jpg

As I mentioned, I'm still doing some research to try to understand why only this ISP profile was removed from the firmware.

I have been poking around with the asuswrt-merlin.ng-master files from GitHub, and I have found reference to this profile on the RT-AX86U files (see image). But no idea why its not on the list to select from.

Also I have confirmed my suspicions in what this profile does in addition to setup the internet access, it also bridges the WAN port to LAN4.

I'm still researching.

img01.jpg

To be honest, more I research don't see reasons why the Meo profile is not included.

@RMerlin some help here. Any idea why?

Last edited:
I did get a reply form ASUS support (see image). For obvious reasons I removed personal data/information from the email conversation.

Unfortunately it will be a lost battle until I can get in touch with a development team.

The support channels I find only doesn't deal with this type of things.

At least I did get some feedback, I can´t do nothing with it, but is something!

1619458343002.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!