What's new

WiFi Alliance Announces New ac Certification Features

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
wifi.jpg

Austin, TX, June 29, 2016 – Wi-Fi Alliance® is expanding Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ ac to include new features that provide a higher-performance mobility experience. New “wave 2” features enable Wi-Fi® to more efficiently handle high-bandwidth applications from an increasing number of smartphones, tablets, TVs, and other consumer electronics devices simultaneously connected to Wi-Fi networks. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac delivers greater network capacity and multi-gigabit speeds to benefit consumers, service providers, and enterprises.
http://www.wi-fi.org/news-events/ne...ldee=bWF0dC5icmlhbkBlbmdhZGdldC5jb20=&urlid=0

Wow, it was on schedule as previously planned! <clap>

Should note the reference platforms

The first Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac products to support new features and which comprise the test bed for interoperability certification are:

• Broadcom BCM94709R4366AC
  • Marvell Avastar 88W8964
  • MediaTek MT7615 AP Reference Design and MT6632 STA Reference Design
  • Qualcomm IPQ8065 802.11ac 4-stream Dual-band, Dual-concurrent Router
  • Quantenna QSR1000 4x4 802.11ac Wave 2 Chipset Family

Hmmm QSR1000, isn't that the chip which vendors replaced?

Hmmm QSR1000, isn't that the chip which vendors replaced?

Their entry into the consumer market was a bit tough, but they've had good performance and reputation in certain vertical sectors (namely operator provided premises equipment).

I see a lot of them in wireless video bridges (think the wireless set-top box, and QTN is usually on one or both sides).

Their entry into the consumer market was a bit tough, but they've had good performance and reputation in certain vertical sectors (namely operator provided premises equipment).

I see a lot of them in wireless video bridges (think the wireless set-top box, and QTN is usually on one or both sides).

Most consumers with this, apparently wave-2 approved QSR1000, are not amused. It does not work as advertised. Worse: it is not stable. We may hope it improves in future.

Great article. Speed is nice but I also want more range.

you wont be seeing any single transmission with greater range as we have reached max eirp , we will however be seeing more in the way of multi point / mesh type applications that will give you better coverage

the main issue here is the lag in client devices capable of these wave 2 specs and features , almost no current client devices can or will do mu-mimo , no current devices can do 4 x 4 160mhz ,

so as usual we have routers with features coming out the wazoo but no adapters to take advantage of it , and the only way to take advantage of the speed or multiple users is to buy new adapters for the most part

i will say the extra 5 gig channels are welcome

i will say however im looking forward to testing the asus pce-ac88 and its performance claims against using something like an asus rt-ac88u in media bridge mode once the new standard hits the firmware

i will say however im looking forward to testing the asus pce-ac88 and its performance claims against using something like an asus rt-ac88u in media bridge mode once the new standard hits the firmware
Don't get too excited. The "wave 2" (I really dislike that term) certification additions don't include 1024 QAM.
wifi_wave2-certs.jpg

That's because NitroQAM (tm) is not in the standard - hence no traceability to a specification.

So can a firmware update include the 160MHz channels say like on my RT-AC88U? It gets harder everyday to be a router enthusiast.

Last edited:
So can a firmware update include the 160MHz channels say like on my RT-AC88U? It gets harder everyday to be a router enthusiasts.

160 MHz channels are optional, and in many countries, might not be possible without DFS in any event.

Why would you even bother without having client devices that support 160MHz?

Just like to have the newest technology. But you're right I may hold off for a few years. I have enough routers in my possession to fulfill my home network needs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!