What's new

Wifi connection issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jappish84

Regular Contributor
Just yesterday I started having Wifi connection issues on my RT-AC56U router.

Sometimes no devices are able to connect to the router, on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, and after a few reboots, only some devices manage to connect to the router, and every time, different devices, 3 at most I think, over both frequencys

I've tried reverting to 58 FW from 59, I've tries factory reset, I've also tried reverting to original Asus FW, and I get the same behavior with all of the above...

Everything else seems fine, ethernet, and all services that I've configured are working.

Windows machine says can't connect to network, android just fails, and goes back to 'saved'.

I'm guessing there is a HW issues, but thought I'd check here first

Sometimes no devices are able to connect to the router, on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, and after a few reboots, only some devices manage to connect to the router, and every time, different devices, 3 at most I think, over both frequencys

I've tried reverting to 58 FW from 59, I've tries factory reset, I've also tried reverting to original Asus FW, and I get the same behavior with all of the above...

Everything else seems fine, ethernet, and all services that I've configured are working.

Windows machine says can't connect to network, android just fails, and goes back to 'saved'.

Basically you just said it does not work without any details. Logic tells me you reverted f/w because problem started with f/w update? When connection fails, any error message? or just router is sitting there looking at you? Does it look like router is hung up or looping on something? Wired connection works OK? Is your signal strength at usual normal level? Being in summer time does router running temperature have gone up? Many things to observe and check, step by step.

I don't think the problem is FW update related. I updated to FW 59 a few weeks back. First time this happened was last night, when all devices connected through Wifi were suddenly disconnected from the network. All wired connections still had Internet access.

Wifi analyzer tells me that the router is broadcasting on both frequencys, at the same strength as usual. I reverted back to older FW because I didn't know what else to try, and I reverted back to original Asus FW for the same reason.

As I wrote in my original post, when connection fails, a Windows machine just tells me it wasn't able to connect, running the windows troubleshooter doesn't give me more clues on what's going on, it basically just says it can't identify the problem.

Android just flashes connecting, and then says saved.

Router acts as usual, and like I wrote, everything else seems to be running fine on ethernet. Both the ftp server and nfs exports are fine, and wired connections have Internet access.

Temperature is fine, I have a small pc fan directed to the router and the temp is about 50 C for the Cpu, the Wifi chipsets are about 40 C,

I don't think the problem is FW update related. I updated to FW 59 a few weeks back. First time this happened was last night, when all devices connected through Wifi were suddenly disconnected from the network. All wired connections still had Internet access.

Wifi analyzer tells me that the router is broadcasting on both frequencys, at the same strength as usual. I reverted back to older FW because I didn't know what else to try, and I reverted back to original Asus FW for the same reason.

As I wrote in my original post, when connection fails, a Windows machine just tells me it wasn't able to connect, running the windows troubleshooter doesn't give me more clues on what's going on, it basically just says it can't identify the problem.

Android just flashes connecting, and then says saved.

Router acts as usual, and like I wrote, everything else seems to be running fine on ethernet. Both the ftp server and nfs exports are fine, and wired connections have Internet access.

Temperature is fine, I have a small pc fan directed to the router and the temp is about 50 C for the Cpu, the Wifi chipsets are about 40 C,

How about double checking your passphrases then just to be sure. Also see if anything in the router log.
Worst case you can try without any security measure for brief testing.

Yeah, I've double checked all passphrases, no doubt. You see, the weird thing is that some devices sometimes do connect after a reboot of the router, after a second reboot, other devices might connect, and not the device that connected last time.

I've tried to take a look at the log, but can't seem to find any clues really, mostly because I don't know what I'm looking for other than error I guess

I'm just now seeing that the ethernet led is flashing for port 3,but no cable is attached

Yeah, I've double checked all passphrases, no doubt. You see, the weird thing is that some devices sometimes do connect after a reboot of the router, after a second reboot, other devices might connect, and not the device that connected last time.

I've tried to take a look at the log, but can't seem to find any clues really, mostly because I don't know what I'm looking for other than error I guess

I'm just now seeing that the ethernet led is flashing for port 3,but no cable is attached

Both bands, 2.4 and 5GHz behave like this? Did you use selected channel or auto channel setting?

Yes, both bands behave the same. I'm using auto channel setting.

As I wrote earlier, it's the same behavior even after a factory reset, and other FWs

Here's a image of the lit LED
20160711_205320.jpg

Yes, both bands behave the same. I'm using auto channel setting.

As I wrote earlier, it's the same behavior even after a factory reset, and other FWs
I never use auto channel setting. Try to select a channel of your choice after surveying your neighborhood wireless situation.

It's kinda far to our neighbors so I'm all alone on the 5Ghz band, and almost all alone on the 2.4ghz. No channels in direct interference really

I've tried to take a closer look at the log while attempting to connect to Wifi, but I'm not sure it's logging Wifi related events? Even if I press the HW button to enable/disable Wifi, there is no log entry

Ok, so I found something weird. I played around with guest-network settings and I seem to be able to connect every time on both bands as long as I keep access to intranet disabled. As soon as I enable access to intranet I get the above described behavior.

EDIT

Nevermind, only my phone connected, other devices wont connect still..

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!