What's new

WiFi extender: is there one that uses 2.4Ghz for both input and output?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael3421

Occasional Visitor
I used to think that the best WiFi extender would use 2.4GHz for the router connection (backhaul) and 5 GHz for talking to my devices. But, not all devices talk 5Ghz and, of course, range can be an issue.

So, it now seems to me that an extender that can connect to the router (backhaul) on one 2.4Ghz channel, and talk to my devices using 2.4GHz on a different channel would be ideal. I assume this means that the device would have two radios.

Does such a thing exist? Thanks.

I used to think that the best WiFi extender would use 2.4GHz for the router connection (backhaul) and 5 GHz for talking to my devices. But, not all devices talk 5Ghz and, of course, range can be an issue.

So, it now seems to me that an extender that can connect to the router (backhaul) on one 2.4Ghz channel, and talk to my devices using 2.4GHz on a different channel would be ideal. I assume this means that the device would have two radios.
Your assumption is correct that it would require two radios. No such extender exists.

The only way I know to accomplish what you want (2 2.4 Ghz radios 2 Channels ) is to use one router set up as a wireless bridge and then plug an AP into the bridge using another non over lapping channel.

Interesting idea. Perhaps I could also use a single band WiFi extender that has an Ethernet port. Then ignore the output WiFi from the extender, plug a router into the Ethernet port and have the router broadcast 2.4ghz on another channel. Whew :)

I use a Netgear EX3800 range extender. I have it setup to use something called "Fastlane" and I know other manufacturers use similar technology with a different name. 2,4Ghz from router and 5Ghz to devices. Or the other way around.

I took a different approach. I relocated my range extender until it had excellent connection with the router over the 5GHz radio then used 5 for my back haul freeing up 2.4 for all my clients.

The Hawking Technology Dual Radio Smart Repeater (HW2R1) might fit the bill. It doesn't say however that it uses a different channel for the repeated network, but it is 2.4GHz in and out.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SYUP60/?tag=snbforums-20

It begs the question as to the difference between a WiFi repeater and extender. Anyone know?
The Hawking products do fit the bill. Some models do have two radios.

Extenders are generally new designs that can connect to any router or AP. Repeaters may or may not require WDS in the base router or AP. You need to check the product specs to be sure.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!