What's new

WiFi for hotel rooms

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

svt11

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I work in one hotel. I have previously posted about such post. What I'm trying is to build WiFi network. One reseller offered me to install Mikrotik mAP2n, but he now says this system uses PoE injectors, but I want to use Active PoE using switches in order to reset them whenever possible.

Now I'm looking for other variants. I first planned just to replace the old D-Link DI-524 routers with WR841ND with OpenWRT and ofcourse keep them out of constant current. The reseller said keeping LAN cables in every room is very good, because these walls which we have are very strong and placing routers on corridors will cause big signal loss. They said that many hotels are replacing their WiFi system with having AP in every room and they give you cable on reception. They went in one hotel in Portoroz, Slovenia were 4-5 guests in one room with WiFi AP mounted on rj45 wall and when the WiFi got overloaded with many clients, they connected to it with LAN cables. 1st variant with TP-Links will be okay, but I won't see what's going on in every room – if it's online, if someone accidentally removed the cable from the RJ45 jack... and so forth. Currently the reseller is offering me IP-COM AP with the corresponding controller, but I'm kinda confused, I never heard about this brand, I know only Engenius, Mikrotik, Ruckus – that they're OK offcourse the last is very expensive and I think it won't return investment.

2nd option I think of is to install Engenius in marine chess format. For example – for 3 consecutive rooms I'll place in center room AP, in down floor I'll place the AP in the end rooms. Some rooms are apartments, so I think they'll need one AP per apartment.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
My best contribution here is the following:

Expose the RJ45 jacks of course (in wall), but there is no reason to allow guests physical access to the AP's. Leave these hidden or in common areas like the hallways or ceilings.

My concern would be this equipment walking out the doors...

Construction material of walls is? Would you run cat5 plenum cable parallel to the HVAC

Engenius is a top of the list choice. Their smoke-alarm look-alikes.

Mind the fire codes on materials and cables and low voltage power to the APs. Don't use mains at each AP.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!