What's new

Wifi Issue on RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

its

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys

Running latest 378.52_2 on RT-AC66U. Have a MBP connecting to it via 5GHz.

Recently I think (last two updates) I have had issues with Wifi. While using the laptop , the internet just stops working.. nothing opens.. no traffic showing in Little Snitch Monitor (Firewall monitor).. and as soon as i disable and then enable Wifi on MBP.. it starts to work immediately.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Have you updated your mbp to the latest os/x yet? It's supposed to fix some connection issues.

Have you tried 'forgetting' the ssid and then re-associating the router again?

Do you have any special characters in the wireless password or ssid name? Try using an unhidden ssid with just basic alphanumeric characters.

you won't get connected to begin with if that's the case.

Not necessarily the case if this was an existing password and the wireless drivers on the computer or the firmware on the router was updated later.

Not necessarily the case if this was an existing password and the wireless drivers on the computer or the firmware on the router was updated later.

and as soon as i disable and then enable Wifi on MBP.. it starts to work immediately.

no. it will won't cause connection drop, nor a disable/enable cycle would heal it either if that were the case.

no. it will won't cause connection drop, nor a disable/enable cycle would heal it either if that were the case.

No problem. We can disagree. But from other posts on the forum here, the issue I describe seems to have happened previously too.

Hi Guys

Running latest 378.52_2 on RT-AC66U. Have a MBP connecting to it via 5GHz.

Recently I think (last two updates) I have had issues with Wifi. While using the laptop , the internet just stops working.. nothing opens.. no traffic showing in Little Snitch Monitor (Firewall monitor).. and as soon as i disable and then enable Wifi on MBP.. it starts to work immediately.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Running Terminal on the Mac, give this a try:

sudo ifconfig awdl0 down

This will turn off the awdl interface, which breaks continuity and airdrop (doesn't break airplay). To reenable, just change "down" to "up"

Have you updated your mbp to the latest os/x yet? It's supposed to fix some connection issues.

Have you tried 'forgetting' the ssid and then re-associating the router again?

Do you have any special characters in the wireless password or ssid name? Try using an unhidden ssid with just basic alphanumeric characters.

1) yes

2) yes

3) yes - but never was a problem before..

1) yes

2) yes

If you follow any Apple forums you will see a TON of wifi issues for both OS x and iOS. They keep releasing updates to "fix" these but some folks still have issues. I use iPhone 6 and AC66 on 5ghz and never an issue from iOS 8 through the most recent 8.3 but lots of folks do have problems. I would try the standard characters in SSID if I were you. Also there is an Apple KB regarding recommended wifi settings. May want to take a look at that.

Last edited:
1) yes

2) yes

3) Never a problem before is not a reason that it may be the problem now. ;)