What's new

Wifi mode vs bandwidth limiter cpu usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tsunami2311

I just notice that for some reason limiting my wifi to 15 mbit, put cpu usage at 70-90%, which i dont really remeber it ever use that much cpu for just that.

Does say limiting router wifi to legacy mode which 54mbit and using that the limiter for wifi use less cpu usage cause there is actual no bandwidth limiting being done in first place?

Only time I seen that kind CPU usage is when I turned on traditional QOS which turned off CTF, which limited my speed to about 100-110 threw put which when cpu would be peg at 100%.

Not even when my ISP works right and provides me with the 200mbit I should have does cpu usage go that high when CTF is on it barely hit 65% at usage at 200mbit

Should bandwidth limiting really use that much cpu % ?

i do not know exactly how the traffic shaping works
but if i am not mistaken , if you put a limit on it then the firewall will just drop all packets it get that is over that limit
so firewall is giving a lot of overhead and lets your cpu do a lot of work

setting your wifi to the 54 mbit link rate will limit it more and better then using traffic shaping
as using legacy it will cap the max transfer rate it can accept , when traffic shaping still accept the max amount of traffic ( based on link speed )

Greets From PowerChaos