What's new

WiFi options for small multi-company office building.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I haven't considered pfSense as an AP os. I just looked it up and it seems it would be quite risky, pfSense's own docs say that don't recommend using it as an AP OS. I think it has a high risk of being buggy.

Just to recap...

Break things out and keep it simple - simple is better in the long run...

Router to the outside world - pfSense is a great choice, Microtik and Ubiquit have some interesting options if one doesn't want to roll their own with pfSense, but pfSense is a very powerful and stable platform.

Layer3 Managed Switch to build out the VLAN's for each client

AP's (just as AP, not router/switch/etc) for each office/floor/org

Hi. Presented a few options for you: (Note: All from my own tests in our lab and ran for more then 1 month)

1) Cisco Meraki-Cisco in the clouds without a controller. Pros: They host it for you and with that comes nice remote control and very smooth provisioning. Intuitive interface and ease of defining traffic shaping, etc. Cons: Lacks extensive RF tools and you gotta shop around for a cloud license. (units tested MX60W/Z1/MR12/MR34)

2) Aruba Networks-Has 3 options;controller/standalone(but clusterable) instant/cloud. Pros: Excellent RF tools, 3 operational modes, high performance throughput with mixed clients, lots of traffic shaping options. Cons: Client station monitoring requires either cloud or airwave licensing and if you run cloud you can't have access to local config but you can convert at any time from one to the other. (units tested: RAP109 and IAP225)

3) Xirrus-Has both cloud and local. Pros:Amazing amount of RF controls and options, XR630 (One I'm currently testing) can handle 240 clients (120 per IAP), 5Ghz legacy clients won't slow .ac clients down, cloud and local can work at the same time. Cons:Easy to crash arrays with too many global filter policies, throughput can be low at times, VLAN issues occasionally. Also tested the XR520.

4) Fortinet-Local only no cloud+CLI. Pros: excellent firewall options (forti "wifi" 60D tested) very secure "locked down by default" config. Cons: TERRIBLE wireless performance. Very low throughput and very frequent disconnects. Major firefox issues to where changing wifi settings bricked the device and it took me a long time to revive it.

5) Airtight - Cloud controller only. Pros: Excellent thoughput and performance. Lots of RF options. Cons: Not much unique to it but has a good bit of UI controls. Model tested C75

6)Xclaim - Cloud/Local/App Pros: decent throughput so far. Easy to use. Cons: lacks essentials like RF management or Client stats like errors and data rate. Model tested: Xi3

7)Aerohive - Cloud or local thru HiveMgr NG. Pros: Excellent throughput on AP230 but lacking on 370. Tons of RF options and other config options, nice UI. also has spectrum analyzer. Cons: Cant run both HM and local/NG, AP370 is inferior to AP230 in every way, AP370 has more dropped frames and such for streaming devices.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!