What's new

WiFi Performance Issues With RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bmccoy

New Around Here
I've been having endless trouble with a TM-AC1900 router that I got on sale from T Mobile a couple months ago and converted to an RT-AC68U. Ever since I've had it, I've been resetting it at least once every one or two weeks and switching between custom firmware builds including Merlin, AdvancedTomato, and DD-WRT to see if they make any difference. Right now, I'm running stock 3.0.0.4.382_18881. My wireless performance has been horrid compared to my slightly older TP-Link Archer C7, even though wired performance has been fine for the most part. Wireless speeds are consistently around 100Mbps slower or more compared to my wired devices, and I haven't seen a consensus on what's been causing performance issues like this one on these routers, other than possibly the DPI engine (which I have already kept turned off). I ran a test (yeah, ignore the crappy URL and odd characters on this site) on 3 different wired/wireless devices tonight, all on the 5GHz band. 2.4Ghz performance is also sub-par, but that's not what I want to focus on, as most of my devices are wireless AC capable.

Also, for what it's worth, I can still switch back to my Archer C7 if this device has just turned out to be a complete dud. I ended up buying this router to replace it as it's said to have better wireless range than the C7, but that hasn't been what I've experienced. Does anyone have some advice on what I should do to try saving this router? I'm at my wits end after having to constantly fiddle with this router for the past month.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!