What's new

Wifi signal vs Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tsunami2311

So my 2.4ghz has excelent singal according to devices and router out on my deck, yet speeds are roughly 10mbit if lucky, move in side the house and that goes back up to like 35-50mbit

5ghz on deck is good signal according to device/router but speed again 10mbit if lucky, back in side the house it could be 50 to 100 mbit + depending on the device. which technically is the same signal strength i get in the house on the deck or 5 from router on both bands. speed just drops like brick on the deck.

Placement of the really cant be changed not with rewire and make new holes and hiding wires which i dont want to do.

Will change changes settings in both 5ghz 2.4 ghz fix the speeds issues out on the deck? I could get another router and use this as extender for wifi, but I rather not cause that just another device to trouble shoot when things go wrong, there for I prefer to stick to the 1 router solution.

Feel free to move to appropriate forums sections, I just have this section bookmarked so most post wind up here by default .

Attachments

• wifi 2.jpg
    wifi 2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 536
  • wifi 1.jpg
    wifi 1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
So my 2.4ghz has excelent singal according to devices and router out on my deck, yet speeds are roughly 10mbit if lucky, move in side the house and that goes back up to like 35-50mbit

5ghz on deck is good signal according to device/router but speed again 10mbit if lucky, back in side the house it could be 50 to 100 mbit + depending on the device. which technically is the same signal strength i get in the house on the deck or 5 from router on both bands. speed just drops like brick on the deck.

Placement of the really cant be changed not with rewire and make new holes and hiding wires which i dont want to do.

Will change changes settings in both 5ghz 2.4 ghz fix the speeds issues out on the deck? I could get another router and use this as extender for wifi, but I rather not cause that just another device to trouble shoot when things go wrong, there for I prefer to stick to the 1 router solution.

Feel free to move to appropriate forums sections, I just have this section bookmarked so most post wind up here by default .

Rather than signal strength " excellent" What is the number running inSSIDer inoor and on the deck? If you want to expect good transfer speed on wireless, 1. Signal strength has to be above optimum level all the time. 2. Better not have noise interference. 3. You select reasonably quiet channel without adjacent channel interference, or no one is using same channel as you are using. Being on 2.4GHz keep the bandwidth at 20MHz, etc. If 5GHz band is working fine, leave it alone. 2,4GHz typically have better ranage than 5GHz but more floks are using 2.4GHz band. And wireless is 2 way business. RX/TX and TX/RX. If one end is weak we have to seek other solutions such as using
an AP.

Wood/ plasters etc

Changing 2.4ghz to 20 mhz dont change speeds and no matter what 2.4ghz channel i have over 4+ overlapping/sharing according to wifi analyzer i have on my laptop to check. which picks up about 10+ wifi anyway

5ghz dont reall have much speed out side on the deck either that is providing it even connect to speedtest.net app to even do a test

Changing 2.4ghz to 20 mhz dont change speeds and no matter what 2.4ghz channel i have over 4+ overlapping/sharing according to wifi analyzer i have on my laptop to check. which picks up about 10+ wifi anyway

5ghz dont reall have much speed out side on the deck either that is providing it even connect to speedtest.net app to even do a test
Could you please clarify whether you refer to measured speeds or negotiated speeds displayed by the respective operating systems?

Because depending on what you're referring to, the strategies for improvement differ significantly.

Most things connect at atl 53mbit or higher but when I out on deck messured speed it 5mbit -10mbit if lucky seen as low as 3mbit, in side house measure speed is 35-50 this is for 2.4ghz

5ghz says it connect out on the deck and has has good reception but out on deck really cant get speedtest.net messurements to work. and if it does do the test it jsut as slow in if not worse.

walk back in to the house is every tis fine on both speed wise

Most things connect at atl 53mbit or higher but when I out on deck messured speed it 5mbit -10mbit if lucky seen as low as 3mbit, in side house measure speed is 35-50 this is for 2.4ghz

5ghz says it connect out on the deck and has has good reception but out on deck really cant get speedtest.net messurements to work. and if it does do the test it jsut as slow in if not worse.

walk back in to the house is every tis fine on both speed wise

If you test with running inSSIDer or Acrylic out on the deck, it'll give signal strength with numbers in db. Then we'll know the strength of signal and looking at the graphic display whether the signal is steady or fluctuating . From this you'll be to able make a decision what to do about it. Also tun this at different times of the day and day of the week to get the average readings. Signal is also affected by weather conditions. I don't have a BIG yard(simple urban neighborhood). I can use my laptop sitting in the patio in the front or back yard. It took some time to find the best location for my router for best coverage. Even turning router 90 deg. may
make a difference.

I beleive it inssider i have on my laptop which is only 2.4ghz cappble and i cant find that for ipads, that can do 2.4ghz and 5ghz acrylic available on ipad/iphone ?

RSSI= dB ?

if so 5ghz -38 2.4 ghz -32 = 4 feet from router
5ghz -73 2.4gghz -92 = 30feet give or take

5ghz -78 149+153+157+161 N,AC 1300.05
2ghz -94 6 B,G 54 mpbs

Last edited:

thats pretty average so close to the router

and thats pretty poor at 30 fee , esp the 2.4 gig

that just about backwards to what it should be the 2.4 gig should be better than the 5 gig at distance

so at 30 feet the ap is showing you that signal on 5 gig is quite poor and the 2.4 gig signal is rubbish

why that is need to be determined by testing with a different client device and see if you get similar results

router ui says
5ghz
RSSI Rx / Tx Rate Connected Flags
-83 dBm 40 / 526 Mbps

2ghz
RSSI Rx / Tx Rate Connected Flags
-69 dBm 1 / 117 Mbps

this is on the deck, I swtich 2ghz to n only and now it does 40mbit both 2ghz/5ghz on surface 3 and and everything seem to work were as auto it didnt even want to connect and if it did connect to wifi there was chance interent didnt work anyway, but with ipad they they struggle to hit 10mbit in same location but before i switch 2.4ghz to n only they struggled to get 5 providing it connected and internet worked

surface 3 seem with both 2/5g to work out on deck ipad and phones are questionable on deck on both 2/5ghz

surface 3 seem with both 2/5g to work out on deck ipad and phones are questionable on deck on both 2/5ghz

then there is your answer , if 1 client works well and other dont its ether a manufacturer type related issue or just poor antenna in those devices , not surprised at all that your issues are apple centric

well there is 1 iphone and 3 ipads and 2 android phones but person that is complain about it not really work on deck is using appled devices.

the Surface 3 is probably only device that "can" break 100mbit on both 2/5ghz

android phones seem to get 5mbit if that on deck with 5ghz and 15mbit on 2.4ghz

so would say my issue is the router range or the devices antennas?

Hell my ps4 is 3 feet from router barely hits 30mbit, then again it barely hit 30mbit wired just like my ps3 which is wired.

Last edited:
Which router do you have? My ac66r has a huge drop in throughput at distance and is a known issue with it. That is why I am getting an ac68u

AC66U I was thinking getting a AC88 or AC 3200 both are for very large house but there is 100$ diffrence between 2, and if it didn remendy the issue I could just use the AC66U as a repeater, which would the same as just getting repeater, but I much rather have the router option

AC66U I was thinking getting a AC88 or AC 3200 both are for very large house but there is 100$ diffrence between 2, and if it didn remendy the issue I could just use the AC66U as a repeater, which would the same as just getting repeater, but I much rather have the router option

You aren't going to like my answer but the ac66 sucks at any form of distance. I have an Alfa directional antenna pointer directly at a wndr3700 acting as a client bridge maybe 20 ft away and if I get 200/200 on the 5ghz I am lucky. Get yourself a ac68 or any of the others and turn the 66 into a ac client bridge

One thing you can do if you don't want to spend the money on a new router right now is invest in a directional antenna and point it towards were you are using it outside... I have this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-APA-M2...275728?hash=item19f30381d0:g:Z50AAOSwVFlUBKWz

and it works pretty damn well and is much cheaper than the Asus directional antenna.

Last edited:
RSSI= dB ?

5ghz -78 149+153+157+161 N,AC 1300.05
2ghz -94 6 B,G 54 mpbs

For me, that close to router, my laptop with Intel 7260 gives 18db for 2.4GHz and 20db for 5GHz. Around house Lowest signal I see is low 70 db and indoor high 50- ish. Updating your laptop WiFi card could make a difference. At 30 ft. range, your WiFi signal becomes fringe. I wouldn't trust to depend on anything above 80 db. My house is 2 story 2x6 wood framed with stucco exterior.Perimeter is almost square.

Last edited:
it mostly the ipad/iphone/andriod phone with these issues. surface 3 runs great out on deck with both bands.

2 2nd gen ipad, 1 ipad air 2, iphone6, and samsung s5 the air/iphone6/s5 should all support ac no?
I switch 2.4ghz N only and 5ghz to N+AC gona see if helps any.

Last edited: