What's new

Wifi Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dcaplinger76

New Around Here
Hello. Just curious if anyone could give me some insight as to why my wifi speeds are so sporadic. I can one minute get 33mbps and a minute later only 12mbps for example. And also sometimes it seems like it is accelerating, like it starts out slow on a speed test and works its way up... kinda like it was sleeping. I am on stock firmware right now and this particular router is only 1 day old. Also it seems to happen on both 2.4 and 5ghz. Thanks for any advice . Dennis

Wireless is a finnicky beast - sneezing can change the performance of your wireless network. (I'm joking, of course, but wireless really can be that sensitive).

I'll assume you haven't played with any advanced settings (if you have, try setting them back to stock values). My best advice is to run the latest .270 firmware release (or the latest from Asuswrt-Merlin, your choice), ensure both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios are configured to use the clearest channel you can find (a tool like inSSIDer will help with this), and check to see if the drivers for the wireless adapter on your machine(s) is up to date as well - some performance problems can vanish just with a small update.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!