What's new

WiFi Woes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hyelton

So I recently picked up a TP-Link EAP245 V3
Just due to the amount of devices its easier to just have 1 ssid for both the 2.4&5GHz networks. But my issue is its DROPPING down to 2.4 way too soon. And some areas wont even switch to 5GHz at all...

During testing have an "auto" network and a seprate 5GHz network yes of coruse the signal is lower, BUT in testing 5GHz is MORE usable.

In the furthest away area I want WiFi I get about 10mbps when using same SSID names for both. But having a seperate 5GHz network I consitantly get over 300mbps, so why is it prefering 2.4GHz?

Any setting to change? or just deal with it? I've tried band steering but it seems to do nothing.

Thanks!

Seems my Galaxy S10e seems to handle it better than my iPhone 11 Pro Max

The device decides where to connect. Most devices select the strongest signal. Since 2.4 GHz signal is attenuated less with distance, that's usually what most devices will prefer.

If you want devices to connect to 5 GHz reliably, then create separate 5 GHz SSIDs.

You can also look into adjusting power level for 2.4 ghz to match with 5 ghz radio, there by creating cell with equal coverage. Though it will be trial and error and will need wifi analyzer.

You can also look into adjusting power level for 2.4 ghz to match with 5 ghz radio, there by creating cell with equal coverage. Though it will be trial and error and will need wifi analyzer.

Yeah I tested that right after making this post. I THINK I may had done that previously with the last AP

Just due to the amount of devices its easier to just have 1 ssid for both the 2.4&5GHz networks. But my issue is its DROPPING down to 2.4 way too soon. And some areas wont even switch to 5GHz at all...

Effective range on 5GHz is going to be about half of 2.4GHz - physics comes into play here.

Effective range on 5GHz is going to be about half of 2.4GHz - physics comes into play here.

Yes of course. But speeds on fringe of 5GHz where tons better than 2.4. But the AP still prefers 2.4GHz when using the same ssid.

Sort of resolved by lowering the radio power of the 2.4GHz network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!