What's new

[Solved] Will a bridge do this for me?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyclone6

Occasional Visitor
OK - I am quite new to networking. I have a bridge question.

Current setup: A RT-N66U in my living room where the cable modem is located. But I have 3 computers located in a different room that a have connected to a switch, which is connected to the N66U with an ethernet wire running across the rooms and floors. Quite irritating. The main reason I do this, and don't go wireless on all computers, is the WOL function, since I have yet to find a wireless WOL solution.

So my question is this:

If I but a 2nd N66U and place it in the other room, and set it in bridge mode, can i then plug the 3 computers into the 2nd router/bridge and be able to use WOL? Will the 2nd router/bridge also be visible from the internet? Or would (if its possible) wake them from the first router that is connected to the bridge router by wireless only?

If this would work, it sure seems a lot simpler than cutting holes in walls and running physical cables.

Sorry if this is a ridiculous newbie question! Thank you...

Just thought I'd update this in case anyone is interested. The second Asus RT-N66R (quite the deal too at $59 refurbished from Microcenter) worked perfectly in media bridge mode. So I have the 2 Asus routers connected wirelessly over 5G, and my 4 desktops hardwired into the 2nd router in the other room. And the WOL function works just as if those 4 machines were hard wired into the router connected to the cable modem.

Goodbye long ethernet cable running along my floor.

Glad you like it. If you're going to be there a while, consider permanent Ethernet cable runs back to your switch or patch panel. At my condo we run the Ethernet cables through the attic and do drops down into the walls. You may need tools such as: hole saw kit, auger drills of various lengths and diameters, drywall jab saw, wire running kit, fish tape, and bore scope inspection camera to see into the space between the walls.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!