What's new

Will gigabit switch interfere with Asus router QoS settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

interlocutorytom

New Around Here
I have an Asus GT-AX6000 router and have a lot of QoS settings for gaming. I am thinking about incorporating an unmanaged switch (probably something simple like TP-Link TL-SG105). Just wanted to ask if incorporating the switch would alter or have a negative effect on the router’s QoS settings? From my research it should not be an issue but wanted to ask others more knowledgeable. I can still run the devices that would be plugged into the switch wirelessly at 200 up/down but want wired if it will not alter the router’s QoS settings for my PC. Any input is appreciated!

If you have a 200/200 fibre/cable connection, you probably don't need QoS (if you've some type of xDSL -G.Fast you probably do). If you only have a single gaming device plugged in then one of the LAN ports is supposed to be prioritised for gaming (I think it's std LAN 1). As for the switch, I've a TL-SH1008 (2.5Gbps) plugged into my 2.5Gbps LAN port and XBox cloud gaming on a 2.5Gbps RK3588 SBC manages a latency of just 17ms streaming at 1920x1080p/120.
*on a UK BT 900/100 (1200/150 actual) fibre connection.

My guess is the ASUS QoS only applies to the WAN port or ports and not the LAN ports. You would want something more advanced than ASUS to have QoS on the LAN side. My Cisco L3 switch has QoS on it.

If you have a 200/200 fibre/cable connection, you probably don't need QoS (if you've some type of xDSL -G.Fast you probably do). If you only have a single gaming device plugged in then one of the LAN ports is supposed to be prioritised for gaming (I think it's std LAN 1). As for the switch, I've a TL-SH1008 (2.5Gbps) plugged into my 2.5Gbps LAN port and XBox cloud gaming on a 2.5Gbps RK3588 SBC manages a latency of just 17ms streaming at 1920x1080p/120.
*on a UK BT 900/100 (1200/150 actual) fibre connection.

The connection is 1 gig up and down. I currently only have my PC plugged into the 2.5 gbps port on router and wife’s work PC is plugged into 1 gbps port. I currently run my Xbox series X and Xbox One wirelessly but think I will get an unmanaged switch that I can plug my pc and both Xbox into. I will use the switch in my wife’s office if it alters something's negatively with my gaming set up. Not real familiar with networking so appreciate your input!

@coxhaus While Asus routers don't offer anything like a commercial-grade QoS solution, that's not what the average user/gamer would probably want/need anyway. So the GT-AX6000 offers 4(ish) QoS variants, which cover not just basic queue management but also some degree of type prioritisation.
@interlocutorytom With 1Gbps up & down, using any QoS is going to limit your throughput and probably prove detrimental all round. My suggestion would be don't do it!

@coxhaus While Asus routers don't offer anything like a commercial-grade QoS solution, that's not what the average user/gamer would probably want/need anyway. So the GT-AX6000 offers 4(ish) QoS variants, which cover not just basic queue management but also some degree of type prioritisation.
@interlocutorytom With 1Gbps up & down, using any QoS is going to limit your throughput and probably prove detrimental all round. My suggestion would be don't do it!
So you would not use any port forwarding, prioritize gaming, prioritize other Asus devices, etc. in the router settings?

Never thought QoS could end up slowing me down. Glad I asked and thanks for the input!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!