What's new

Win7 ICS having DNS issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

orcsoul

New Around Here
I've been having a very frustrating problem that I just can't seem to pinpoint a cause or solution for.

First a quick description of my network layout... Cablemodem -> ETH0 on Win7 ICS Box, ETH1 on Win7 ICS Box -> Switch -> Internal Win7 Box (and other stuff)

The problem lies with my internal Win7 box. I have the DNS servers set to ETH1 on the ICS Box, and this works... most of the time (all of the time before this computer was using Win7)

The problem is, on I'd say 1 in 10 web page requests, I get DNS errors, re-load the page 1 second later and it works. The problem seems to go away when I actually set the DNS fields to actual DNS servers, however this then bypasses the filters I've set on the HOSTS file on my ICS box, and I'd like to avoid having to replicate changes to both of my HOSTS files.

ICS Box
----
(ETH1) LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Internal Win7
-----
Lan IP: 192.168.1.2
DNS Server: 192.168.1.1

Any suggestions as to why I get these periodically frequent DNS hiccups, only on the internal win7 box so I know it's not the DNS servers themselves.

I seriously doubt that's the case, or I would be experiencing this problem on all machines on my network. To date I've only had this problem on just the one internal Win7 box, none of the other clients on my network ever have this issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!