What's new

Windows 10 dual gigabit?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jauling

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone.

I recently purchased an asustor nas for home, which comes with dual gig NICs. This will be plugged into a managed switch, and most likely configured with lacp or whatever better way there is to do link aggregation. It'll have a couple clients using it for dlna and smb, so I'm assuming load will traverse both NICs since they come from multiple sources.

I'm specing out a Windows 10 pc and I see some motherboards that come with dual gigabit NICs onboard. I havent been able to find any reliable sources that say that windows 10 supports link aggregation on the OS layer. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this kind of setup? I've heard some talk about MPIO and how samba3 supports it, but havent heard much about it other than it used in iscsi.

Thanks!

Jau

windows 7 and above dont support LACP. You should use linux instead. Even when it comes to supporting NICs linux does a lot better. My dual SFP+ NIC wont work with windows, with linux it works very well straight away. I've had so many issues trying to get things to work on windows from installing AMD GPUs on a windows server to using dedicated NICs.

I know some will say LACP to LACP wont work but they actually do if you use balance rr mode as a single stream is actually split if it is used (there is a caution though about it).

There is a small chance to do LACP on windows and thats only with intel if intel drivers have that capability for the OS you are using.

LACP is vastly over-rated...

This has been a topic of interest over the last few months - and just keep in mind - LACP and Link Aggregation/NIC teaming is not what most folks think it is...

Comes down to basics on the wire, and how the protocol stacks above work - don't worry too much about it.

Win/Mac/Linux - pretty much all the same thing...

LACP is the ethernet equivalent of MU-MIMO on wireless - check-box feature and poorly sold - there is benefit, but it's mostly about capacity, not speed...

Its not over rated, its one of those features you can enable without any harm. different from vlans where the wrong config means trouble, enabling lacp doesnt hurt even if wrongly used.

Its not over rated, its one of those features you can enable without any harm. different from vlans where the wrong config means trouble, enabling lacp doesnt hurt even if wrongly used.

There are benefits - like I mentioned above - but I think that set expectations have been mis-aligned with reality...

It's really annoying windows 10 lacks lacp or any form of OS level link aggregation or NIC teaming or bonding (however you'd like to call it). I think, based on my usage, I should see if smb 3.0 multichannel will work. Ive yet to confirm if my asustor nas supports it. I'm surprised no one has dual gigabit going to their win10 desktops. I just recently wired a couple rooms in my home each with dual cat6, so trying to determine best way to take advantage of this.

Changing client OS is kind of off topic, hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk

And you know what's crazy? Back in the Win98se days, to maximize the amount of bandwidth to ISPs, you could bond two 56k modem connections together to get ISDN-like 112k speeds.

It's really annoying windows 10 lacks lacp or any form of OS level link aggregation or NIC teaming or bonding (however you'd like to call it.
In Windows it's done by the NIC drivers (if supported), it's not a function of the OS.

Both Dell and HP provide the appropriate drivers for their server NICs.

Edit: Windows Server 2012 supports link aggregation natively.

Last edited:
Teaming in Windows 10 is broken. Has been for ages, some update shortly after release broke it.

Wow, sounds like the windows development team are taking cues from the router firmware teams...

teaming in windows isnt broken, its removed. Drivers will also not work with it as well. If you wish to do teaming with windows you need windows server (i have tested windows server 2012 with this as is in my cluster setup). and while windows server supports teaming it doesnt support every NIC like linux does.

There's some more information about this here that is particularly relevant if you have Intel NICs. See the October 21 & 22 2016 posts at the end of the thread.

teaming in windows isnt broken, its removed.

It's not removed. You can set up teaming, it just doesn't work. So, it's broken, not removed. If it was removed, you wouldn't be able to set it up.

It's not removed. You can set up teaming, it just doesn't work. So, it's broken, not removed. If it was removed, you wouldn't be able to set it up.
it was removed but the GUI still remained. Thats why it seems broken. If you read, microsoft said that LACP was removed from windows vista and above, removed. They just didnt removed everything because both windows for desktops and windows server share a lot of core things.

You can use NIC teaming on Win10 and Windows Server 2012 without any special setup on the switch.

upload_2016-12-30_16-44-51.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!