What's new

Windows 10 preview as of mid-April 2015

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
Well, reading the hype - Win 10 ship in summer '15... I gave the latest preview a try.
After doing so, I hope that my Win 7 systems can be used for a decade, because MS has NOT listened to their bread-and-butter users - desktops, business.

Win 10 in my opinion, is a disfiguring face lift of a blend of Win 7 and Win 8. And now it has keyboard/mouse - tablet schizophrenia even worse. Ship date moved to "late 2015". Maybe the execs at MS will go see their Otolaryngologists (ear doc.).

The start menu is there, but the expletive tiles are there too within the start menu and it's very hard to get rid of the dancing tiles. The start menu is filled with icons and absurd eye candy.

I ran Win 10 in a VM (virtual box). Two clicks and it's poof.

This is the first review that I have read about Win 10. I'm using Win 7 and not planning to upgrade anytime soon.

It is very easy to ignore Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 idiosyncrasies. 10 minutes to teach even non-tech gramma's how to do what they need with it.

But it is very hard to give up the benefits that has happened under the hood since the archaic Windows 7 and any previous o/s.

Initially, it took me a little longer to fight with Windows 8 and finally realize that fighting was not getting me anywhere fast. But when I finally just decided to do some work with it, the haze that lifted was an eye opener. I still have that original system still running. No hiccups, no freezes, no o/s re-installs.

Since then, I have insisted that not only my computers, but also my customers be Windows 8.1 with update 1 setups. Much less figuring out what is not working and much more just getting work done smoothly and efficiently. For a mere 10 minute 'orientation' for a single person that can demonstrate it to all employees during their coffee breaks.

Ignoring the huge benefits of the new o/s because of the way it looks is not conducive to getting the maximum benefits out of the hardware you have now and what you'll have in the future.

With computers, part of upgrading or buying new hardware and / or software has always been upgrading the user to work more efficiently and smarter too.

And whats the point with a Forum about ROUTERS? There is alots of W10 forums on web

We are in the General Other Discussions section.

I've been running Win 10 tech preview as my main OS on my laptop (which I use occasionally, while on the couch). There's still a lot of work to do, but they are making progress in the right direction at least, while with Windows 8 everything was going in the completely wrong direction.

I still prefer Windows 7 overall, however I think Win 10 is an improvement over Win8. While I do use Win 8.1 on my primary desktop, I'm also using Stardock's Start8 (well worth the 5$ they charge for it).

The Win10 start menu is still a work-in-progress, it seems to change with every new build they release. I'd be patient before deciding whether it's a disaster or a nice compromise. Having live tiles there won't replace the desktop gadgets I miss so much (again, with Win 8 I had to ressort to Rainmeter to replace my old desktop gadgets), but I can see some usefulness to them in a desktop environment.

Personally I'm skeptical about the late July release date currently mentionned. MS themselves must know that, as they already announced that some of their planned features will only be available in a pair of feature updates releases scheduled for 2016.

you say WIn 10 start menu is a work in progress..
If they'd remove the damned tiles, and icon on each program in the list, it wold be more usable.
Since they moved the ship date for Win 10 from summer to ? late 2014, maybe they'll do that change, if enough yelling occurs.

I would definitely not expect these sort of changes to occur with the management. When I formally approached MS, representing my 40,000 employee company and its $$$ of site licenses, it was like the proverbial deep dark well.

If they'd remove the damned tiles, and icon on each program in the list, it wold be more usable.
Since they moved the ship date for Win 10 from summer to ? late 2014, maybe they'll do that change, if enough yelling occurs.

I would definitely not expect these sort of changes to occur with the management. When I formally approached MS, representing my 40,000 employee company and its $$$ of site licenses, it was like the proverbial deep dark well.

I tried Windows 10 technical preview when it first came out. Don't they allow you to unpin the live tiles? Probably will only take a few seconds to unpin them.

http://www.howtogeek.com/197586/how-to-make-the-windows-10-start-menu-look-more-like-windows-7/

It's still way, way better than the total lack of any start menu in Windows 8. Having to open a fullscreen page, then locate the magically hidden location where you need to move the mouse pointer to scroll down to the complete list of installed applications, just to locate that application that you forgot to pin to your taskbar was quite disruptive to one's workflow.

(I know you can start typing the application's name to quickly locate it, but I work in IT, and I almost never see any of my customers even know about that method of locating an application.)

It's still way, way better than the total lack of any start menu in Windows 8. Having to open a fullscreen page, then locate the magically hidden location where you need to move the mouse pointer to scroll down to the complete list of installed applications, just to locate that application that you forgot to pin to your taskbar was quite disruptive to one's workflow.

(I know you can start typing the application's name to quickly locate it, but I work in IT, and I almost never see any of my customers even know about that method of locating an application.)

Excellent point about the 'search' method. I initially resisted using the search method (even though I knew it was there), but after I forced myself to start using it, I can't believe how well/fast it works. Now I use it all the time, and it makes things so much simpler.