What's new

Windows (8.1) explorer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sailorbart

New Around Here
Windows (8.1) explorer does not see the n4200eco, but accessed via the web interface is no problem, please help !

? unclear .....

My brother in law had the same problem and could not figure it out what it was and he sold the NAS at last :mad:

This I had posted on another tech site, for tablet, but you can use the same method on desktop, laptop, netbook. Windows 8.1 forces you to create a Microsoft account to log into thus doing this your local network might not allow you to do certain functions. See below how to fix things so you can.

Which Windows 8.1 tablet is this Pro or RT? RT your can't not x86 or x64. Pro you can. Disable Homegroup. Use Workgroup and call it something other than Workgroup like: DANET for example

So do this on laptop and tablet. On laptop make sure the folder is shared out to you the admin or your name example Dan.

So you should have local account on your system called Dan with admin rights. Back on the tablet side you need to create a local account. Did you setup Microsoft account so your login with that account only. You need to create a local account and start using that. It can be done to access the Microsoft account while being on local account while your at home.

If away from home then sign on to Microsoft account to access the cloud features. Or still use the local account and have Microsoft account to access store and skydrive (aka onedrive).

NAS seen

I do not have any trouble with 8.1 and my 4100. Not sure why their is a difference. I am using Pro even at home...

Today I began fooling with WIn 8.1 free eval.
No issues at all with my Synology NAS and windows 8.1 in workgroup mode.

PS: even after I configured Win 8.1 in the new boot-to-desktop mode (skip the 'modern' display at bootup), I still very much dislike Win 8.1. It's just barely tolerable.
Since our good folks at MS forbid the sale of Win 7 retail, and force us to buy OEM (licensed not transferrable), I wanted to see if I could stomach Win 8.1.
The senior Executives at Microsoft have slightly overlooked who pays the light bill in Redmond: Business users and Offce/Servers/Sharepoint and are fast alienating their bread-and-butter customers with this psychotic focus on tablet computers.

Last edited:
Windows 8.1 does allow you to skip the Microsoft account sign in, but they do not make it obvious. If you have used it to login, then for the sake of networking, use a local account : http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...-tip-change-to-a-local-account-in-windows-81/

The other thing you may want to do is make it behave more like windows 7:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043243/how-to-boot-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-8-1.html

When using windows and attempting to access a NAS using SAMBA, it will attempt to login using your existing credentials. As mentioned in this thread, you can create an account on the NAS that matches your windows login and password, then give the NAS user access to the folders you want using the NAS web interface.

Alternatively, you can map a network drive and check the box: "Connect using different credentials". If you use your NAS web login information, the drive will map and you'll have full access. This, btw, is not great practice in terms of security, but it will get you started.

Better practice is to create several users on the NAS (none with admin access) that mirror your windows users' login information, and give these users just the access that they need to the NAS folders. That way when an encrypting virus or similar shows up, it would not have access to everything.

On some NAS's you can also enable guest user access to each shared folder (using NAS web interface) and leave it at that. This method may introduce longer delays and cause browser issues..so I don't use it.

Windows 8.1 btw has some magic under the hood with respect to windows SMB3 multichannel that I'll be writing about in the blog series. If you're interested in fast network performance, SMB3 found in windows 8 and server 2012 is essential. After upgrading half of my team to windows 8.1 the one comment that they had: "it's faster" and "it feels snappier". No hardware was changed, and six workstations were updated.

Yes, my Win 8.1 install skipped the Microsoft Account usage totally. Have to read the fine print during installation on how to do so.
And I found how to get it to boot and skip past username/password login (as some of us have done with XP and Win 7 in a home comptuer situation).

And now with boot-to-desktop working, and freeware to restore the start button, win 8.1 differs from Win 7 in about three ways
  • SAMBA and workgroup are the same for me as in Win 7. No Micro$oft account/login dependencies. Works fine on my LAN with other Windows PCs, NAS, printer.
  • Purchasing Win 8.1 software keys if you use win 7 makes no sense
  • Micro$oft forbids the sale of Win 7 non-OEM licenses (i.e., full retail version). Ought to be Dept. of Commerce-illegal, fair trade laws.
  • Win 8.1's window styles are ugly

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!