What's new

Wiping the firmware and settings clean off?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Guz

I've been experimenting around with different firmware (Official, Beta, Custom) for my RT-N56U. One thing I've just recently noticed is that going back and forth between them, several times the configuration is retained.

Example:
Have the official firmware loaded and configured. Load a custom firmware, it imports the settings, I select "restore to default", make changes and experiment. Decide to go back to the official firmware, select "restore to default" before re-flashing, when done the original configuration that I did in the official firmware is back. :confused:

I've experimented and found this can happen in various scenario installs (official to custom to beta back to official, custom to beta back to official, beta to official back to beta, etc).

I've even put the router in firmware recovery mode, re-flashed, and it still retains my personal settings that I experimented with. I would have thought putting the router in firmware recovery mode would really wipe things to clean/fresh.

I've generally do a "restore to default settings" before changing the firmware, but it makes me wonder what's going on and if some settings/files that are left over might effect newer/different firmware, and possibly why sometimes we have issues when updating the firmware with new/different features.

Add: I wonder if there should be an option to "clear NVRAM before update". Just to make sure nothing is carried over from one firmware to another.

Last edited:
I've been experimenting around with different firmware (Official, Beta, Custom) for my RT-N56U. One thing I've just recently noticed is that going back and forth between them, several times the configuration is retained.

Example:
Have the official firmware loaded and configured. Load a custom firmware, it imports the settings, I select "restore to default", make changes and experiment. Decide to go back to the official firmware, select "restore to default" before re-flashing, when done the original configuration that I did in the official firmware is back. :confused:

I've experimented and found this can happen in various scenario installs (official to custom to beta back to official, custom to beta back to official, beta to official back to beta, etc).

I've even put the router in firmware recovery mode, re-flashed, and it still retains my personal settings that I experimented with. I would have thought putting the router in firmware recovery mode would really wipe things to clean/fresh.

I've generally do a "restore to default settings" before changing the firmware, but it makes me wonder what's going on and if some settings/files that are left over might effect newer/different firmware, and possibly why sometimes we have issues when updating the firmware with new/different features.

Add: I wonder if there should be an option to "clear NVRAM before update". Just to make sure nothing is carried over from one firmware to another.

I have to agree. This is the first router I've had where I've had to manually clear the nvram instead of just doing a hard reset between firmware versions via the router's reset button when using the manufacturer's firmware. Seems like a bug, and Asus is aware of it, since they are the ones that suggested erasing the nvram to me. I don't think that everyone is affected by this, but I have one particular client device that needs to have the nvram manually erased after a firmware upgrade.

Hard reset method

1. when the unit is powered on, hold down the reset button for 30 seconds
2. while still holding down the reset button, unplug the router from power and hold for an additional 30 seconds
3. still holding down the reset button, turn on power to the router again and hold for 30 more seconds

After this process (a total of 90 seconds) is complete, your router should be restored to its factory default state

1. when the unit is powered on, hold down the reset button for 30 seconds
2. while still holding down the reset button, unplug the router from power and hold for an additional 30 seconds
3. still holding down the reset button, turn on power to the router again and hold for 30 more seconds

After this process (a total of 90 seconds) is complete, your router should be restored to its factory default state

Turning the device on while Reset is pressed actually puts it in Recovery Mode. The router will respond to pings on 192.168.1.1 with a TTL of 100ms instead of the regular 64ms (that's how you can tell if a router is in recovery or normal mode), and it will have a basic web interface on 192.168.1.1.

I just found another way, but only with the beta firmware (that I know of).

Telnet into the router, and enter these commands.
mtd-erase -d nvram

reboot

This should be the same thing that the "Factory default" restore button does in the browser...

Turning the device on while Reset is pressed actually puts it in Recovery Mode. The router will respond to pings on 192.168.1.1 with a TTL of 100ms instead of the regular 64ms (that's how you can tell if a router is in recovery or normal mode), and it will have a basic web interface on 192.168.1.1.

He has RT-N56U device, on RT-N66U the reset is made with the wps button, correct me if I'm wrong...

He has RT-N56U device, on RT-N66U the reset is made with the wps button, correct me if I'm wrong...

Right, I forgot they still haven't migrated the RT-N56U to Asuswrt (despite the fact I see code for it all the time in Asuswrt :) )

I've seem reports as well that the wps button is used for wiping out settings. I never looked, I either used the webui or mtd-erase when I needed to erase all my settings.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online