What's new

Wireless Access Point or Router - which is best option?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Russ64

Occasional Visitor
Firstly, I am new to this forum but been reading posts and seems this is the place for knowledgeable advice :)

I am looking to secure and improve my home network as I plan to move to VDSL (FTTC) or Cable soon, currently on ADSL (12Mbbps average). Therefore my first priority is to move my personal devices behind a UTM, I am building a custom box to run Sophos UTM 9 Home which will hopefully give me this:
DSL (ISP gateway router) -> Sky (STB), SmartTV, Amazon Fire TV (low security subnet protected by DSL router NAT only) and -> UTM -> Switch -> 2x PC's, Laptop, iPad, iPhone5, iPhone6 (high security subnet) and guest Wlan (medium security subnet).

I was hoping to create my WLAN using the Intel AC1200 card in the UTM box but seems the Sophos does not provide/support this, so I need either a new AC access point or AC router (BTW my ISP router only has single 2.4 N, not AC and it does not reach all parts of my house without extender).

Also, my UTM and switch are located in the study (mid point of the house) vs DSL router in front room, so coverage should be better. AP's seem to be more for business vs home and not much cheaper than a good WR as I want gigabit LAN port and dual-radio AC - my question is which will be better in this case and are there any gotchas that I am missing here??

Thanks.

Either one.

The last time I checked, most devices marketed as Access Points were corporate models (expensive).

I did not see many consumer-grade Access Points. Most were marketed as Wireless Routers. A Wireless Router can function as an AP, in most cases.

Just get a consumer WRT like the Asus RT-AC68U. :)

My rule of thumb for home power users;
If you are planning on broadcasting multiple SSIDs tagged to different VLANs get an access point. If you just want Wi-Fi from a single device, a repurposed router works.

Thanks for the replies - I will plan on a new WRT and having done some reading here, it seems that Asus is the way to go.

Do all asuswrt firmware provide AP mode or does it need something in the hardware (vendors info is so bad - some list AP mode and some don't)?

Thanks for the replies - I will plan on a new WRT and having done some reading here, it seems that Asus is the way to go.

Do all asuswrt firmware provide AP mode or does it need something in the hardware (vendors info is so bad - some list AP mode and some don't)?

I think they all do, but I am not sure.

Even if a wireless router does not have AP mode, you can still get get the same functionality by plugging the cable from your wired router into one of the LAN ports (instead of WAN) on the wireless router. I did that with some of my older Netgear and D-Link wireless routers and it worked fine.

Using either Merlin's firmware or the stock ASUS firmware and setting the router in the AP mode allows you to use the WAN port as a fifth LAN port. Other than that the AP mode just allows people with not much networking experience to get the router working as an AP without really having to worry about changing other settings.

Thanks again guys for all the good advice - I have pulled the trigger on the Asus RT-AC68U.
I look forward to using RMerlin's firmware, it sounds awesome.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!