What's new

Wireless access router for RV Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bordert

New Around Here
I move from RV park to RV park every month traveling around the country. They all most always have WIFI so I can connect my computer without any problems. My problem is I need to also have a wireless network in my RV to connect other devices I want to run on through a wireless router. One in particular is a Netcam that requires a wireless router. The would be fine if I had a hardwired wireless router that would plug into a DSL line or similar but in an RV park we only have WIFI connect. So can anyone tell me what I need to setup a wireless network in my RV that has an access WIFI access point beaming from my RV park.

Thanks Greg

I do have a wireless DSL router but not sure if I can use this in any way as the access point is a DSL line.

I am using PC laptops

Wireless Repeater

What you can do is purchase a device that can be set up as a wireless repeater.

I would suggest that you look on e-bay and purchase a Linksys 54G router that has already been flashed with DD-WRT. Cost $30 - $40. For more money you can get newer and more powerful routers running DD-WRT.

Go into the Wiki Forum and there are instructions on how to set up a router running DD-WRT as a wireless repeater. It can be a bit of a chore to get it working.

Unfortunately every time you pull into a different RV park you are going to have to reprogram the repeater to match up with the settings in the new RV park. The settings are touchy so it may not always be possible to get it to work.

Another possibility is to set up your PC to share its internet connection. I have never done this so you will have to look elsewhere for assistance.

I don't think you want a repeater. That would depend on the host network issuing multiple IP addresses to you for your multiple devices. With a repeater all your devices would also end up on the host network, which is not good for your security.

Some thing like the Pepwave Surf will do what you want. But with one radio, it will cut your device throughput in half.

Highest throughput, but more complicated, is to use a wireless bridge feeding into the WAN port of a regular wireless router. For the bridge, a Ubiquiti NanoStation would do nicely.

I move from RV park to RV park every month traveling around the country. They all most always have WIFI so I can connect my computer without any problems. My problem is I need to also have a wireless network in my RV to connect other devices I want to run on through a wireless router. One in particular is a Netcam that requires a wireless router. The would be fine if I had a hardwired wireless router that would plug into a DSL line or similar but in an RV park we only have WIFI connect. So can anyone tell me what I need to setup a wireless network in my RV that has an access WIFI access point beaming from my RV park.

Thanks Greg

I do have a wireless DSL router but not sure if I can use this in any way as the access point is a DSL line.

I am using PC laptops
I had a similar situation, and managed to pick up a PEPWAVE Max 700 on eBay. It has been a fantastic solution so far.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!