What's new

wireless between two apartments

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MortenEV

New Around Here
Hi

My cousins has move into the same building. They would like to share internet. They are 30 feet~10 meters from each other. They are on the same floor and the windows are out to the same side. Only problem is one apartment and 7 walls . I have allerede tried a Netgear WNDR4500 router and Netgear repeater WN2500. The repeater can see the network but loose the connection after 4-6 minuts. Output is 1-2mbit.

Is there a solution with external antennas, where I can sneak an small antenne out of each of they windows and get a good signal ? They just need a stabil internt connection , sow 5-10mbit should cover email and youtube.

Or should I go for a tried with a ARCHER C9 and a Linksys RE6500 , or similar high end Wifi equipment.

Your help is highly appreciated. All other problems in the last few years has been solve by reading SNB, but no article about wireless for Cousins :)

If you can get an antenna out the window than you can get an ethernet cable out there as well which would be more reliable.

When running cable outside remember to have a drip loop

If you can get an antenna out the window than you can get an ethernet cable out there as well which would be more reliable.

When running cable outside remember to have a drip loop

Like this...

drip_loop.JPG

Hi

My cousins has move into the same building. They would like to share internet. They are 30 feet~10 meters from each other. They are on the same floor and the windows are out to the same side. Only problem is one apartment and 7 walls . I have allerede tried a Netgear WNDR4500 router and Netgear repeater WN2500. The repeater can see the network but loose the connection after 4-6 minuts. Output is 1-2mbit.

Is there a solution with external antennas, where I can sneak an small antenne out of each of they windows and get a good signal ? They just need a stabil internt connection , sow 5-10mbit should cover email and youtube.

Or should I go for a tried with a ARCHER C9 and a Linksys RE6500 , or similar high end Wifi equipment.

Your help is highly appreciated. All other problems in the last few years has been solve by reading SNB, but no article about wireless for Cousins :)
If you can see the other window... yes. How far?

BRIDGING TWO POINTS
If is unclear if there is an option to run an Ethernet cable. If yes then this is the preferred solution. If not, then you must deal with the attenuation caused by walls and other obstacles. A pair of directional transmitters (Ubiquiti comes to mind) would be more effective bridge than omnidirectional devices.

Yeah, I'd just go for a couple of outdoor bridges, the exact models Thiggins mentioned. The distance involved is trivial, whether antennas on cables or external bridges (unless you are running the antenna coax cabling several meters. Signal loss is only about 2dB per meter for 2.4GHz and 4dB per meter for good coax, so if you keep it under 2 meters on each end of things, that is not a major signal loss when you have line of sight and only about 10 meters of open air distance between antennas).

The bridges, however, would still be the best way to implement what you want to do.

Take a look at ubiquity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? Price is higher without any real benefit in this case.

A couple of inexpensive Engenius bridges will work perfectly and I assume this isn't some gigabit internet connection being shared (not that I care much, but I am sure if you check, sharing your connection is against the T&C of your ISP contract).

Why? Price is higher without any real benefit in this case.

A couple of inexpensive Engenius bridges will work perfectly and I assume this isn't some gigabit internet connection being shared (not that I care much, but I am sure if you check, sharing your connection is against the T&C of your ISP contract).

Maybe. The least expensive 5ghz bridges I could find from EnGenius (ENS500) were $70ea. Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5's were $65ea.

As tight beam as they are and the short distance involved, the cheaper 2.4GHz bridges are probably just fine. They run about $40 each.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!