What's new

Wireless Bridge lame question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ulaganath

Very Senior Member
Hi I am trying to understand on the dual band concurrent wireless actual functionality.

I just wondering say i had n900 router and i have ac 1750 router.

Both have 2.4ghz wireless 450mb throughput.

If my n900 is primary having internet bridging it with my ac with n 2.4ghz i get strong 450mb based on distance of course speed will fluctuate.

My doubt or lame query is if this is bridged i know the AC 1750 router can provide internet to all the wired devices connected to it as part of wireless bridge function

Does it also works like since ac 1750 is dual band wireless and concurrent means both frequecy at the same time. Can i used a wireless ac client with AC 1750 to get connected say 866mb throughput and access internet and browsed the devices connected to both wireless and wired devices by the ac 1750 (wired) n900(wireless)

I know it may be weird. theoretically i believe it could be possible at least to see devices wired with AC 1750 but practically the prime functionally of bridge does allow the other part of wifi connected devices to interrupt and see things.

It might be one of weird though but i am trying to understand.

Hi I am trying to understand on the dual band concurrent wireless actual functionality.

I just wondering say i had n900 router and i have ac 1750 router.

If my n900 is primary having internet bridging it with my ac with n 2.4ghz i get strong 450mb based on distance of course speed will fluctuate.

My doubt or lame query is if this is bridged i know the AC 1750 router can provide internet to all the wired devices connected to it as part of wireless bridge function

Does it also works like since ac 1750 is dual band wireless and concurrent means both frequecy at the same time. Can i used a wireless ac client with AC 1750 to get connected say 866mb throughput and access internet and browsed the devices connected to both wireless and wired devices by the ac 1750 (wired) n900(wireless)

I know it may be weird. theoretically i believe it could be possible at least to see devices wired with AC 1750 but practically the prime functionally of bridge does allow the other part of wifi connected devices to interrupt and see things.

It might be one of weird though but i am trying to understand.

If the AC1750 is configured to be a bridge, then usually it cannot also simultaneously be an access point for nearby WiFi clients. A very few products are a "WiFi client bridge (to Ethernet) plus a WiFi access point".

Some products can do the above and they use the term "WiFi as WAN". I use Cradlepoint which has this capability. Check ebay for a less pricey one.

I've seen but can't recall what consumer gear has WiFi as WAN.

PS: a nit
Throughput usually means the IP layer 3 data rate inclusive of WiFi and other overhead. For WiFi, the overhead is such that the net yield throughput is usually about 60% of the indicated WiFi connection speed. And the latter varies a lot due to signal strength FROM the client TO the WiFi access device.

Last edited:
Your router firmware controls what you can do.

I have DD-WRT on both routers. Router 2 is a 5GHz wireless bridge. On router 2, the 2.4GHz frequency is free for use as a 2nd SSID. The 5GHz connection works as an invisible "wire" to the main router.

Your router firmware controls what you can do.

I have DD-WRT on both routers. Router 2 is a 5GHz wireless bridge. On router 2, the 2.4GHz frequency is free for use as a 2nd SSID. The 5GHz connection works as an invisible "wire" to the main router.

But I understood the OP to be asking of that bridge can also support WiFi clients by having a concurrent AP mode.

But I understood the OP to be asking of that bridge can also support WiFi clients by having a concurrent AP mode.

To be honest, I had a hard time understanding his question. I chose to describe what I do and and, possibly, it might serve his needs. My wireless bridge is also a AP, but it uses a unique SSID on 2.4GHz while 5GHz is the link line.

Netgear router firmware on the AC models provides a 5GHz bridge mode, but the 2.4GHz radio is shut off on the bridge. Thus, some firmware is different from others. DD-WRT and Padavan / RTN56U allow the 2.4GHz radio to be independent.

re

Yeah i got it now wifi as wan.

Gr8 concept and functionality as my thought is if i have a wifi ac router where i already own a wifi n 900 . i can bridge these 2 and have the other part of ac active to be connected by ac client.

Its something using the most out of it. But the actual stopping point of any router is ment to work only on mode say router or ap or wireless bridge then my requirement will not work.

since except 2 devices is ac capable and i wish i can have the full bandwidth to stream hd content which is available on either of router or connected devices it would be an added advantage if internet too work.

I would appreciate if some one can share the wifi as wan devices.

Another query its hard to understand wireless ac . the min is 437 and then 867 and 1300 and double of it. Does the ac router support n in 5ghz or not if so what is the max link speed say current n is 450 but in ac router they had reached a theoritical max of 600 mbps ie 200 mb each stream thats why ac1900 is all about. So

i was wondering by any chance concurrent dual band be active at the same time. Why one gets disconnected when other is connects. is that client limitiation,.

I wish if i get n900 in on single client so that i have ac kind of speed.

The only way to get 802.11ac speeds/throughput is to use 802.11ac devices.

If you want to use an AC1750 router (as a router), you can also use a separate Asus RT-AC66U/R and/or RT-68U/R in "repeater" mode. This won't give you the same speeds on the repeater's wireless that you can get from the router, but it's very good in my setting. I have two AC66s and use one as a router and the other as a repeater. This essentially "repeats" the 5ghz 802.11 ac channel from the router, and when a device is connected to a LAN port on the repeater, it's getting very nearly the same speeds as it would if were connected directly at closer range to the router.

With repeater mode, the repeater will also "repeat" the router's 5ghz channel on it's own 2.4 and 5ghz radios. But there is no way that I know of to use both radios to receive a signal from the router; you can use one band or the other to receive, but not both.

Same with Bridge mode. I am not aware of any way to use the bridge device as both a receive and send wireless AP; essentially the bridge receives and communicates only with the router, and not other wireless clients; the only way you can connect client devices to the bridge is through the LAN ports on the bridge.

No matter which device (N900 or 1750AC) you used as bridge, the best you'd ever do is whatever speed you can push through the N900 device, i.e., 802.11n, with a theoretical maximum of 450 per channel....not AC speeds.

Of course, if both devices have Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, you could set up the AC1750 as your router, connect the N900 via a wired LAN connection and configure it as a true AP, and at least your LAN ports on the N900 would be getting Gigabit speeds.

My query was little different. I wanted to know if n router is internet gateway bridged to Ac router via n Chanel all wired devices in Ac router gets net. But Ac chanel is idle. What if I connect Ac clients wireless devices so as to connect internet and see all wired connected devices as the bandwidth is little high for Ac I can do high throughput

Its just for internal transfers

...What if I connect Ac clients wireless devices so as to connect internet and see all wired connected devices as the bandwidth is little high for Ac I can do high throughput

Not quite sure I think I understand you, but I'll give it a shot: If your 802.11n dual channel router is connected to an 802.11ac dual-channel access point (set as an access point) via a cabled Ethernet connection, i.e., from the GigE port on the router to a GigE port on the AP, and if you then connected an 802.11 ac wireless client to the access point's 5ghz 11ac channel, you'd be able to get true 802.11ac speed and throughput, and you'd theoretically get higher LAN to LAN file transfers (what you refer to as "internal") than you would using 802.11n, and you'd also theoretically have faster download and upload internet speeds as well (depending on the speeds provided by your ISP).

The same would not be true if you were running the AP as a "bridge" because in true "bridge" mode, the wireless only communicates with the router and you wouldn't be able to connect any 802.11ac wireless clients to it, only wired clients, and the speeds you'd get from even wired devices connected to the bridge would depend on the speed of the connection to the router, and with a max of wireless 11n from the router, the best you'd theoretically be able to achieve would be 450Mbps (assuming three antennas in both router and "bridge"), and of course, that's only theoretical speed, and you'd likely see only about half that, even under the best of circumstances.

Last edited:
...and of course, that's only theoretical speed, and you'd likely see only about half that, even under the best of circumstances.

The indicated WiFi speed is the raw burst bit rate on WiFi. What matters is the net "yield" speed in megabits/sec at the IP layer. Commonly, the IP layer yield is 60% of the WiFi raw bit rate, and can be less yet if the WiFi spectrum you're router is using has neighbor-users that consume a lot of air time.

The indicated WiFi speed is the raw burst bit rate on WiFi. What matters is the net "yield" speed in megabits/sec at the IP layer. Commonly, the IP layer yield is 60% of the WiFi raw bit rate, and can be less yet if the WiFi spectrum you're router is using has neighbor-users that consume a lot of air time.

Agreed, which is why I said about "half"", i.e., something a bit less than ~60%.

Now I see once router mode is changed it can't act as both router and repeater.

a WiFi client bridge is neither a router, access point or (WDS) repeater.
It's like a reverse access point: It is a client of the WiFi network, as is a PC or phone. But it bridges that WiFi network to a wired ethernet network (cat5 cable).

Yes, it depends on what it is. I've seen that some range extenders you can run as both a repeater and a wireless bridge at the same time. They can also sometimes be set in to simply wireless bridge mode, or only repeater mode and a few have access point modes.

Yes, it depends on what it is. I've seen that some range extenders you can run as both a repeater and a wireless bridge at the same time. They can also sometimes be set in to simply wireless bridge mode, or only repeater mode and a few have access point modes.
? wouldn't ANY WiFi "Extender" have to have an access point function? By its very nature?
A box that is a WiFi client, has an ethernet port, and no access point capability- I call a WiFi client bridge, a.k.a. "game adapter".
Marketing folks have taken their liberties.

Hardware wise, sure, but not necessarily firmware wise. I've seen some where you MUST wirelessly extend the existing network, or when in use as a client bridge, it must also rebroadcast the existing wireless network.

I've seen other range extenders/repeaters that have no ethernet ports, so they cannot be used as bridges.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!