What's new

Wireless bridge speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoboX

Occasional Visitor
Quick question if i make a wireless bridge to a small house, do i sacrifice speed? like if I'm using a AP in repeater mode? or using a Wireless bridge is totally different?

Thanks

You lose 50% of throughput when the bridge "repeats", i.e. receives a signal from the main access point / router, then rebroadcasts it. A wireless client receiving the rebroadcast signal will only get 50% of the available throughput.

If the bridge is used to connect wired clients, those clients will get all the bandwidth available because there is no rebroadcast.

Wow didn't knew that thank you very much for that information :D

so that means i can connect another AP to that switch using the wireless bridge and i will get full internet speed?

Another thing if i have lets say a normal AP Router any brand, can i use any AP in bridge mode to do that? or it needs to be the same brand?

really thanks.

Last edited:
Most repeaters are single radio - so they have to transmit, stop, listen, stop, and then transmit again.

all that stopping and starting - reduces the total bandwidth in half.

one way around this - simultaneous dual-band - where you have two radios - if properly designed and with the right clients - you can see full performance - for example - using 5 Ghz as a backhaul between the main AP and the "repeater", and using 2.4 Ghz to the clients that attach to the repeater (or vs. versa 2.4GHz backhaul to 5Ghz clients, but all clients must be 5Ghz).

there are many ways to skin this - this is one way, but it depends on what gear you have, and what the use-case is.

repeaters, even single radio/single band, have their uses - if you want to push the WLAN out for handsets, tablets, and light duty email/web - they can work - but for streaming a high-def video stream - not good - gaming and latency, not the best - there, either cable up to another AP, or home plug or other options...

sfx

This thread's title is Bridge.
A WDS repeater a.k.a. range extender is NOT a bridge.
A bridge a.k.a. game adapter, if the back side is ethernet, has no speed penalty.

This thread's title is Bridge.
A WDS repeater a.k.a. range extender is NOT a bridge.
A bridge a.k.a. game adapter, if the back side is ethernet, has no speed penalty.

agreed.. but most folks see repeater/bridge in the same view - good that you make that distinction.

sfx

Thank you very much for all that great information. After you mention that a WDS repeater is not a Bridge I started looking for more info on the net, so a nanostation I see I can use it for different things depending on what I want, can I use that hardware to satisfy my needs to bridge the signal to a switch then cable the computers inside the house?

I was reading in another forum that they 2 types of wifi bridges a transparent bridge and a not so transparent bridge info found here: http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-i...derstand-wireless-gaming-adapters-108979.html

Sorry for all the questions, is that wifi is a pretty cool technology and I really want to know how it works, and all the things I can do with it.

A WiFi bridge is supposed to be a "layer 2" device. That means that it is transparent as to what protocols pass through, be that IP, TCP/IP, ICMP, etc.

Bridges have an IP address (a Layer 3 thing), only for admin reasons; has nothing to do with bridging at layer 2.

A bridge that works at layer 3 is really a router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!